Im lost help. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Im lost help.

I have a 3yr old Remington model 700 CDL Boone and Crockett in 7mm magnum and have just recently started having MAJOR grouping problems. I originally thought it may be a scope problem so I put a brand new Nikon Pro Staff 4x12 on it and immediately the same problems occurred. I am dead on at 25 yds, but at 100 yds i am all over and i mean all over) an 8 inch oval target.. 1 high left. 1 right, 1 low right, etc etc. there is no pattern to the shots at all, and no stringing of shots or such, and ive even let the gun sit for up to 10 minutes between shots to cut down on muzzle heat, I also had someone shoot it that is a very good bench shot with same problems..from what i understand these guns have pressure points between the stock and barrel so its not a floating problem and everything seems fine as far as functionality.. i just cant understand how its obviously on at 25yds but all over at 100yds..any suggestions are appreciated as im totally lost on this one.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Sage

Re: Im lost help.

Crown.

Check the muzzle and see if there are any dings around the muzzle. Any imperfection at the muzzle can spin a bullet to a lot of places. And none of those places consistently.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

did you get it bore sighted? Are you using a Lead sled or other good rest? How far off are the shots? How tight are the groups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Also, same ammo and grain bullet?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ive checked the muzzle and no nicks or even scratches, yes im using a good sled, and using handloads in 162 grain boattail spitzers..same batch that shot perfect lat year. the shots are randomly spaced all within a paper plate size target, and there is no grouping to speak off..except "8inch groups" i guess lol.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Churchill
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 AM

Loose scope mounts?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ive tried 2 scopes and mounts are all secure..what i dont understand is that im dead on groups at 25 yds and all over at 100yds.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'd really give the barrel a good scrubbing with a brush, You've had the gun since it was new? And last year it was good right?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 AM
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Could be 2 bad scopes. I have a lower end tasco 3-9x50 on my 7mm, and it shoots darts. The Nikon is awesome but still the chance it could be malfunctioning.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes i bought it brand new in the box 3 yrs ago and it always shot great until this yr..i immediately assuned it was the scope as it was a bsa and not ideal for the shock of a magnum and as soon as i mounted the nikon and bore sighted it was the same exact problem. There hasnt even been 50 rounds through it if that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page