7mm German Mauser - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

7mm German Mauser

My buddy has a WWII German Mauser in 7mm. It has been sporterized. Don't ask me or make all the silly comments about why the heck he is shooting something like that with all the up-to-date guns on the market today. I have asked this question a 100 times and he has other more modern rifles in his gun cabinet, and it surely isnt a matter of not having the cash because he surely does, he just plain and simple will not change what he shoots. The gun is heavy as heck and awkward in my opinion and the doggone gun should be retired, however he won't do it. So here is the issue he and I are saddled with.

About a month ago, he picked up the gun after having issues with getting it "sighted in" and I went to the range. We checked the scope mounts, and the rings, but it was shooting all over the board at 25 yds and 100 yds. So I had him switch scopes, to a brand new one right out of the box. This time I attached it and double checked it. Then I noticed that 1 out of every 10 casings were split. He is using 145 grain Winchester Super X bullets. On top of this when he shoots at 100 yards he will fire 3 shots in a row, the first shot will be 8 inches left and 10 inches low, then the 2nd usually 4 left and 4 low and the 3rd will be close if not right in the bullseye. After watching him shoot like this 12-15 shots per day for over a week, yesterday I decided to try my luck. I only fired two shots. The first shot was about 8 and 8 low and left and then my 2nd shot was an inch high and perfect L to R. I suggested we try either Remington or Federal ammo as my Weatherby shoots different depending on ammo. We talked to a dealer yesterday who specializes in sales of these "older" rifles and he stated that the split cases could be bad cartridges from Winchester or else the chamber could be going south considering this was a war used rifle and the potential number of shots could have worn out the chamber. Have any other shooters had this issue with these WWII rifles? On the up side he is finally considering other guns!

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Re: 7mm German Mauser

I normally shoot a Remington from WWI for deer and for fun I have a M1 Garand and carbine: they all shoot just fine. Any rifle can be abused or shot out over time. If he likes the chambering so much and is willing to pay for the ammunition or reload it himself he should have it rebarreled with a new 7x57 barrel and continue to shoot it.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM

You gotta remember these battle rifles were made with loose chambers to allow for dirt that would be consistant with field conditions. Many things affect accuracy, worn chamber, worn muzzle from cleaning rod wear and barrel wear from corrosive powders and FMJ ammo. I would try Federal ammo and see what it does.

Don't sell out these old battle rifles because I have MANY and a couple that with open sights that will outshoot most Remchesters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i second both of comment above!!

Should I shoot? I don't care, im not the one holding the gun, if it was me, we'd be skinning by now.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 AM

If this is a german mauser it may be chambered for the WWII 8mm Mauser round. Only the Spanish mausers were 7mm. I would check the diameter of the bullets in the bore to make certain he is using the correct ammo!

PS I have a 1930 Brazilian CZ.24 in 7mm mauser.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM

So you see what a 110 year old milsurp can do at 100 yards. Here is my Enfield/Mauser hybrid in 8mm.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Being that I know about as much about these old rifles as you boys do about my wife... I will have to question him on whether or not its German or Spanish. He has always told me it was German and I do know he has an M1 Garand (not that, that fact has anything to do with the make of this rifle). I will ask him though and see if there are any distinguishing marks on the gun.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM
The Man

It's mostly likely a spanish gun. Not too long ago they were plentifull and cheap. My uncle had one, and it shot really well.

First I would try different ammo. Second I would look at the crown at the end of the barrel.

As far as split cases I've seen that happen with modern guns. Pretty sure it's just bad brass. I normally see that from remington cases though. I'm sure there will be someone on here tell you to have a chamber cast made.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM

It sounds to me like you answered you own question.
Why does it shoot better with the 2nd or 3rd shot?
think about what happens when you fire that gun the metal gets hot right? what happens to steel when it gets hot? it expands right? steel not only expands outward but in a tube shape such as a barrel it also expands inward also decreasing the inside diameter of the bore and chamber which with tighter tolerances the gun shoots better. I would say rebarrel it because I also agree with the preceding statements that old mil-surp guns still have good service left in them but this one has a bad or worn out chamber or barrel. in a hunting firearm its most likely the cold bore shot that counts.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys.. I did double check with him and he swears its German but takes the 7mm Mauser cartridge. I will see again later today and investigate closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page