300 rcm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

300 rcm

Have an opportunity to buy a lighter ruger hawkeye 77 in left hand bolt in 300rcm for under $500 new, just not sure about the 300rcm. Anybody use, have,had or tried one? Thanks

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: 300 rcm

Haven't had one, but it was basically DOA when it was introduced.

I'm not sure if the brass can be readily formed, but that would be my concern if I were getting one-- a supply of brass. 30-cal bullets will never be hard to get, lol.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM

If you like it get it, I went for the 338 version. As for DOA, reliable sources tell me the RCMs are pet cartridges of Hornady's CEO and are aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Brass and ammo is available via the net. Reviews on them are good from people that have used them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I guess the point is you're dealing with a cartridge that is not commonly found. If that's ok, then go for it full steam ahead. Lefty rifles are hard to come by, for sure. I'm watching for one for my daughter, actually.

And I handload for a slew of cartridges, I think 13 or 14 currently, including rounds like the 35 Whelen, 300H&H, and 264WM. Not unobtainable brass, but not easy, either.

I guess for me, I'd look to any of a range of 30 mags instead, just because there's not much the RCM's bring to the table outside what others can do with less component availability issues. Yep, same can be said about the 300H&H. I have a 300WSM, too, and that's literally a ballistic twin to the H&H round. If one just wants it, hey, go crazy with it, lol.

For a "cost effective" rifle, I personally would think twice on an RCM. Just my views on it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:22 PM

tdd makes a point. I have other rifles if the rcm ever does become scarce. For me I liked the short action, shorter barrel, lighter weight of the gun itself, and still have a round with bullet weight and power. I concede these rounds are redundant to what is already available for years.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

That's why I got my 300WSM. That and I had no idea a prewar M70 in 300H&H for a good price was going to drop in my lap a couple years later! Ha!

To show how nearly identical they are, I have both shooting the 180gr Nosler Partition. The 300H&H gave me good accuracy with a load that averages 3015fps for that bullet. the 300WSM dialed in at a speed of 2975fps for the exact same bullet. The case water capacity is identical between the two. One is long and skinny, the other short and fat, lol.

I got the 300WSM because it was a nicely balanced rifle in a very nice length and overall size with a lot of punch.

For the OP's question, I can see why the rifle is of interest....lefty rifles aren't easy to find, and one at a reasonable price is even tougher to find. That in of itself might make it worth dealing with the RCM chambering, as there's a premium to be paid for lefty rifles, and a good buy on one could offset a lot of other attributes that might be "ideal".
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

My options for compact leftys is small, same with caliber choice, coupled with the $$ factor, I'm not buying a lefty sako. I have contemplated a RH bolt but I've tried that and it screws me up for a follow up shot bad.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:18 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

If you go on 24HCF at all, there was a Tikka lefty in 270 Win, if you're at all interested in that chambering? Don't know if it sold, but it hadn't been moving when I last looked at the listing a week or so ago?

Doing a little google-fu, it seems the RCM doesn't significantly out-run the 30-06 (the 300RCM), so you might just look for an 06 and call it good? I know lefty options are sparse.

I also see that the 300RCM is based of a necked and shortened 375 Ruger. Not the easiest of brass forming processes at all, if you had to "make" brass. I didn't see much else for possible parent cases to work from, so you might not have a ton of options in that regard. That's a bummer.

Something like a 257 Roberts/6mm Rem, for example, can be formed from 7x57 brass. Not like 7mm Mauser brass is that common, either, but it's able to be found. If you have to scrounge for only 300RCM brass, which is a distinct possibility, you may have an issue 10-20 years down the road. Or you may not...lol. If only someone had a crystal ball.

Hey, there's also a lefty 35 Whelen M700 on 24HCF currently. You want something with some stomp factor, that's your answer right there.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I have several whelens all pumps i made into carbines, 356 winchester, 358 winchester blr and custom 760 rebarrel in 358. 45-70 lever, 444 lever. I had a custom lh mauser action mathieu in 300 h&h but barrel was 26" and it was heavy. In choked up rocky mountain laurel you need something lighter and short. I did find at davidsons a ruger american ss compact lh in .308 but im not sure about those things. The tikka looks intriguing but i want "short". I guess its too much to have more than a lefty bolt huh?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Nothing wrong with it...it's basically a .300 short mag for all intents and purposes..and if your left hand there's not a lot from other manufacturers to choose from...but the only way I would buy it is if I could buy at least 200 empty cases because you know what the future usually holds for these upcomers based on all of their history.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page