Winchester Model 70 Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Winchester Model 70 Question

I have a newer model 70 chambered in 300wsm. I bought it soon after the short mags were introduced, first year or second, I can't remember. My problem is, the gun does not eject the spent brass. It will release them, and they will lay in the receiver. I called winchester and they told me "you have to pull the bolt back with a brisk motion." I recently returned from a hunting trip with the gun where after the shot, I had to turn the gun upside down to get the brass out so I could chamer another. I literally have to slam it back as fast as I can to get the brass to just fall out of the reciever. Winchester wants me to send the whole rifle back to them. Sounds like a big hassle to me. If it is going to be an easy fix for a smith, I'd rather just pay them instead of going though the ordeal of shipping a firearm. What you guys think? Is this normal for a model 70?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Re: Winchester Model 70 Question

sounds like the ejector has a problem. Bent? Broken?
Shipping a firearm is not that difficult, I'd send it back and have them fix it.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 PM

fixing the ejector is easy. I have done it on several guns and it only takes a couple of seconds to do. just don't loose the tiny ball bearing and spring behind it. usually if you just press down and slide it they will come right out.
before you go through that, check and make sure the brass isn't contacting the scope and retaining it. second are you reloading? make sure your loads aren't too hot as this will cause ejection problems.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
The Man

Before you disassemble anything, spray Gun Scrubber on the ejector....I'm betting it's just gunked up a little....factory grease is often too heavily applied which gums things up...

After the season have your gunsmith disassemble it, clean and lube it....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Before you disassemble anything, spray Gun Scrubber on the ejector....I'm betting it's just gunked up a little....factory grease is often too heavily applied which gums things up...

After the season have your gunsmith disassemble it, clean and lube it....
Take Bobs advise. He gave me the same suggestion and saved me what I thought was going to be an expensive repair on a pre64 model 70. Thanks again Bob 1

HOME 2A(Washington,Pa) Camp 2F (Hearts Content)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Brass is definately not contacting scope. It isn't jumping off the bolt at all. Just coming loose and laying in there. I am also not shooting reloads and never have out of that gun. Shooting Fusions now. I'll try the gun scrubber. I'm not worried about tearing the gun apart now because I'm done using it for this year. I only use it on my trips out west. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Bob. Luckily I have a can of gun scrubber and put it to use. I could see the gunk coming out from under the ejector after one spray. I let it soak, hit it again, let it dry, and oiled. Problem solved.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One last thing to check is the extractor. It's possible that if it is a few years old that it has the MIM (cast) extractor. They're junk and can loose tension. If it is a MIM one it is very easy to replace with a newer machined one. I've replaced two on the slightly older (New Haven) model 70's with ones made by Williams. The new mdel 70's made by FN have good extractors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page