recoil reduction - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

recoil reduction

I just bought a Model 70 in 7mm mag. Might not be the best purchase for me because I don't care for a rifle with a lot of recoil, but really liked the rifle and got a good price on it, so I bought it. It came with a non-ported Boss installed, but also has a ported BOSS which I will use The buttpad looks like about 1/4" of solid rubber. Any suggestions for a good quality replacement? I've heard the Limbsavers can get tacky and stick to stuff, but don't have any personal experience.
One more question; are the reduced recoil loads I see worth the money, do they really work, and are they sufficient to kill deer with? Looking forward to opinions. Thanks.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 PM

Re: recoil reduction

I have a Limbsaver on my Encore 12 guage, it does everything advertised for recoil...as far as tacky...I thought I had got pine tar on it. If you lean it against a tree you will have leaves stuck to it,I thought that was just me. But it sure tames that single shot down a ton!
The only recoil reduced shells I have experience with were some 20 gauge slugs my daughter killed her first deer when she was 10 in Ohio and they worked great

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 PM

Have you shot it yet???

The recoil of the 7mag IMO isn't bad at all...I'd say a 3006 feels worse..has a heck of a bark...but recoil wise its not anything big...

I'd shoot it first and see...

Your right...I haven't found a GOOD recoil pad yet that isn't "tacky" and they like to snag on your vest or coat etc as you pull up for a shot...

The reduced power loads should work well and lighten things up some too...

Not familiar with the BOSS. I thought that was a browning thing...but most brakes might reduce some recoil but will add muzzle blast...making a screamer even louder lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM

30-06 and 7mm Mag generate the same of amount of recoil with 160/165 grain bullets.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A 7mm Remington mag will have more recoil than a 30-06 when shooting same weight bullets out of same weight rifles.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 AM
The Man

I put a Pachmayr Decellerator on my 7mm when I was trying to reduce the recoil. It worked well and does not get tacky or have things stick to it. My 7mag is a Win M70 also.

I had a .30-06 with a BOSS on it. With the ported BOSS, it was the most obnoxiously loud rifle I've ever fired. I got rid of it. Just the weight of the non-ported BOSS will assist in reducing recoil, though not by much.
I agree that I don't find the 7 mag's recoil to be all that bad, but everybody's tolerance is different.

I was trying to reduce the recoil on mine because I was into some long range shooting at the time.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 AM
The Man

The Limbsavers that get tacky were a bad batch of material. I called Limbsaver and they happily replaced mine ASAP.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOz
A 7mm Remington mag will have more recoil than a 30-06 when shooting same weight bullets out of same weight rifles.
How do you figure that? I doubt enough to be noticed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 7 mag holds more powder than the 06.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4
I just bought a Model 70 in 7mm mag. Might not be the best purchase for me because I don't care for a rifle with a lot of recoil, but really liked the rifle and got a good price on it, so I bought it. It came with a non-ported Boss installed, but also has a ported BOSS which I will use The buttpad looks like about 1/4" of solid rubber. Any suggestions for a good quality replacement? I've heard the Limbsavers can get tacky and stick to stuff, but don't have any personal experience.
One more question; are the reduced recoil loads I see worth the money, do they really work, and are they sufficient to kill deer with? Looking forward to opinions. Thanks.
Everyone's tolerance to recoil is different but a 7mm mag isn't bad.I've put simms on a couple guns and they work very well.I personally wouldn't own a rifle with a boss attached.I shot a .270 one time that had one and I couldn't hear for two days.I'd rather catch a scope in the eye every time rather than dealing with that noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page