Alloy vs.Steel receiver? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Alloy vs.Steel receiver?

In a Thompson Tommy.Do you think the Al.alloy would make it more prone for problems and reliability than the originally designed steel receiver.The Alloy receiver is a exact copy of the steel but makes the gun 10 times easier to handle.Actually at the shop today they didn,t even know it was alloy till they put a magnet to it.Plus the Alloy is cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 AM

Re: Alloy vs.Steel receiver?

I'm thinking alloy, while is cheaper, will hold up to a point. A lot of shotguns are using alloy and I tend to pass them up. My own opinion.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 AM

By Thompson Tommy, I'm assuming your talking about the semi-auto version of the original in 45acp? If so, maybe. But if your talking the full auto NFA type, then absolutely not! I would rather steel either way.

Big LSWC's rule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes Pete,it is the semi-auto version in 45acp.The T150D which is 1927 with the Drum and stick mag and verticle fore grip.Gangster style.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
The Man

The guy at the shop likes steel too but also said that all AR,s are AL.and they don,t have a problem.That,s what got me thinkin.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM

it all depends on what alloy they use.
some alloys will wear better and survive the elements better then steel.
other alloys wont fare so well.

Stainless Steel is a steel alloy and depending on the type of SS it can or cannot be magnetic
also keep in mind there is a difference between steel and its alloys and aluminum that also has its own alloys.

if your that concerned you need to find out what kind of metal your dealing with before making any judgments

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I would reckon it is the same aluminum alloy used in AR,s.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

In an AR, all the receiver does is house the trigger group and provide a place to attach the upper which houses the STEEL bolt and bolt carrier group.
I'm not sure how the Thompson operates but if the receiver is actually part of the operating mechanism....no way would I go with alloy. Unless the gun wouldn't be fired all that much.
You used to be able to get .45 autos that had aluminum receivers. They worked OK for awhile but eventually would get beat to death.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Good points.If you handled the ally version it is night and day compared to the steel.Actually makes it enjoyable to handle.But I,ll take the steel if I suspect the alloy will be troublesome.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Part of the Community

I own a Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge Magnum semi automatic shotgun.
I shoot mainly reloads.
Some / most shotguns leaves an indentation on the headstamp of the shell from where the extractor removed it.
I was hunting pheasants one day - about 3 years after I bought the shotgun, and it jammed.
I tore the shotgun down in the middle of a corn field and discovered that a piece of the action had broken off and had jammed inside of the action the spent case / next round.
From that point on, I have had nothing but problems with that particular firearm.
I tried to return it to Grice Gun Shop, but at that point, all Grice was interested in was selling guns, not doing warranty work.
I was advised to send it back to Browning, which I did.
Browning claimed that they couldn't see anything wrong with it and they fired several new rounds of ammo through it and said it was cycling ok.
It has a piece of metal missing near the ejection port and it still has cycling issues.
For a $1000 shotgun, I shouldn't have to put up with this kind of B.S.

I own a Browning BPS 10 Gauge Shotgun, it has a steel receiver and bottom eject.
This shotgun has been carried on many a turkey / duck hunt and has never left me down.

Given the option, I would elect to never buy another firearm with an aluminum frame or action.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page