Kimber Ascent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kimber Ascent

After scaling the mountains of Alaska & BC hunting sheep & goat I have decided to invest in a light weight rifle. The ADL and Prohunter I normally use are just to heavy. I have had the Kimber Ascent in my hands several times at the Cabelas in Hamburg. I absolutely love the feel and look of this firearm. Anyone have insight into Kimber rifles and their performance? Appreciate your input before I pull the trigger. Good huntin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Kimber Ascent

Not to get off subject but savage makes a nice light weight gun called the savage lightweight hunter. It comes chambered in short and long action and is very light. If you're truly set on a kimber than I can't help you much.

I hunted coyotes before it was cool!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 AM

I've been kicking around the idea of Adding a Kimber to the list of wants..I think it'd makemake a dandy tracking/still hunting rifle...and I am getting more and more into that style of hunting anymore...

Only thing I've heard is their quality and accuracy has gone down hill....now I don't know if its true or not...but worth doing some searching....for the money they are I have dang high expectations...

I love my pump guns...but they still have a bulk and weight to them...in the end I may end up "building" a pump for the job...chop it...cerakote it...make it may small light weight busting brush sneaking around getting wet and nasty gun...

I don't know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 AM
The Man

I know nothing about the Ascent. But I know several people who have Montana's and to a person they swear by them. One of them is a dyed in the wool sheep hunter who has harvested 7 dall rams. His Montana is in a .308 and he bought it for the same reason as the Big28. A Kimber with quality and accuracy that has gone downhill -if it's true - is still better than most other rifles out there IMHO.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I carried the 8400 in 300 wsm for several trips for deer, antelope and elk. Fit and finish were great, accuracy very good even with the pencil thin barrel. The only downside was the recoil in the wsm was bad. The only gun that ever cut me twice.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

This particular rifle does have a break on it do to it's weight. Certainly don't want to flinch on a dall at 350 yards or more. It's tough enough getting up those darn mountains to blow the shot. Have a Harris for it and will probably put a Zeiss on it. Appreciate your input fellas.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan88
Not to get off subject but savage makes a nice light weight gun called the savage lightweight hunter. It comes chambered in short and long action and is very light. If you're truly set on a kimber than I can't help you much.
I'm not a fan of the sloppy bolts Savage make. Any others you can think of?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I can go to the other end of the spectrum and say the HS Precision 2000. Weighs about the same as the kimber but has a price tag of $3700. Good luck in finding your new rifle. Just buying the gun is always an adventure.

I hunted coyotes before it was cool!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A bit to pricey for me MountainMan88. Looking forward to getting this rig put together and some range time. TY and Good huntin'
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:50 AM
The Man

I have a Montana in .338 Federal. There were some accuracy issues when I first got it. They were easily corrected.

Since it is a light barrel I only shoot 3 shot groups but a 3 shot group out of a cold barrel is usually less than 1 inch. It does prefer Barnes Bullets.

I also have an 84 and I am considering a 22-250. I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber in 22-250 at the right price. They are great rifles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page