17 hmr - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

17 hmr

I just won a savage 17hmr at a turkey party and was wondering if any of you have one and what you have done to it. What scope you have on it and any other accesories you have for it.

It has no sights on it so I have to pick what scope to put on it.
Thanks

I have posted on another sight about it but want your opinions also

Animals: They taste GOOD!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Re: 17 hmr

I bought a Savage with the laminate thumbhole stock and the varmint weight barrel around the beginning of June of this year. I got it for hunting woodchucks in some of the areas where houses were in close proximity to the fields I hunt. I was a little concerned with the noise of my centerfires and had been a little dissapointed with the performance of a Savage .22LR I previously had for the job. After hunting with a friend who had a Marlin in .17HMR and seeing first hand how well it worked on woodchucks out to 150yds I decided I needed one.

I can't give enough praise to the little .17HMR. I have mine topped with a 6-24x40 Bushnell scope which really helps pick shot placement on the woodchucks, which is especially important at extended ranges. It's amazingly effective on woodchucks for a little 20gr bullet (my rifle prefers the Hornady 20gr XTP's). I took 46 woodchucks with the little gun this summer (and a couple crows) and all but a couple of them were one shot kills. Everything about it is enjoyable to shoot. It's a low recoil, low noise all around sweet little caliber and I think you'll enjoy it.

WMU 3A
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

With all the people with these guns you would think I would get a good amount of feedback.... thanks chuck hunter!

Animals: They taste GOOD!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are highly accurate for a tiny bullet but very efficient killer of woodchuck.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the market to buy one at some point, as they seem like really neat little guns.

I think a 2-7 power scope would be just about perfect for that rifle, maybe a 3-9 though I wouldn't go any larger than that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM

I have the identical setup as woodchukhtr, down to the make and power of the scope, and the rifle is a incredibally accurate and deadly. I hate the look of the laminated stock because of all the pinks and reads but it provides a stable platform. ONE THING: I highly reccomend that you take off the magazine floor plate and reinforce it with a piece of steel. The factory plate is very flimsey and will not permit you to turn in the screw without bending the plate. I had to carve out some wood that was under the magazine wells plate to fit in the 1/8 piece of steel I used as reinforcement. This little addition made a noticable improvement in the rifles accracy.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Jimsdad, I think you must have the limited edition/special run version with the Jacarda laminate. Mine is strictly the brown laminate. This is a pic of it when I had a Tasco on it for a little while prior to the Bushnell.

I made a couple improvements to the rifle. One was to modify the Accu-trigger to a sub 12oz pull and the other was to bed the entire action and barrel channel. On these little rimfires the action is pretty light and their is very little contact area in the action inletting. This causes two issues; a loose metal to wood fit and not enough wood to allow for a action only bed job. IMO The best solution to the lack of support and poor fit was to bed the whole works. Now the barreled action has zero movement and still shoots like a dream.

WMU 3A
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Hummmm, that is interesting. How did you drop the trigger pull weight? I'd like to give that try. When you bedded the rifle, did you take out any wood in the action area to accomidate the bedding material? How much bedding compound was needed for the barrel channel? That a pretty big trench to fill. Did you use glass or steel bedding? I might want to give this a go as a winter project.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 PM

On my rifle the inletting was already "oversized" and the barrel comes free-floated so their wasn't a need to remove any material per-say. Normally I'll use a higher strength steel bedding compound on my centerfires. But in this case both due to the need for a fair amount of bedding compound and the low recoil of the .17 I used a readily available Devcon 2-part epoxy that I picked it up at Lowes but I believe but it can be found about anywhere. It's a clear drying Devcon that comes in twin tubes. I can't recall the compression strength of it at this point either. At the time I was more concerned with filling the voids and stabilizing the barreled action. When I bought the rifle you could take a hold of the barrel and move the action in the inletting. After the bedding job it's very solid.

"Enhancing" the accutrigger is a simple job but for liabilities sake I'm going to send you a PM with that info.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 PM
BD1
Part of the Community

Shoots like a Dream out to 200 yards on a CALM day!!!
Savage 93 non/accutrigger, Nikon Scope
Upgraded the trigger & stock
Here is a good site to read up on!!!
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page