Custom rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Custom rifles

So, I have finally gotten to the place in my life that I can start to have some of the guns that I want, not just what is utilitarian. I have grown to appreciate fine custom guns. The only problem is I'm not to the point in my life that I can afford thousands of dollars for one.

I have been looking at building my own. Last year I was looking at using a Savage action, because a few people I knew said they were cake to work on. As some have probably read, a few weeks ago I came home with a custom Mauser. There is no comparison between the two.

So now my dilemma begins, what action to use. I have ambitions of building two, a 35 whelen and something in the 24-26 caliber range. I'm a nostalgic personality and nothing strikes my fancy than a nice old gun, whether it's cut down or not. My one concern is the life of the action. I've picked up a few Savage's around and the actions feel sloppy and rough. But some of the Mauser's I've seen are in way worse shape, plus the bolt handle would need reforged. There is a part of me that says to just buy a new Savage, cheap, and start from there.

So, if you were doing it, what action would you use and what would you buy(new/used)?

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Custom rifles

To me comparing a Savage action to a Mauser is like comparing apples and oranges. A Mauser is going to take some work/money to get it ready to be the base for a "fine custom gun". To me a "fine cunstom gun" will never be able to be built based on Savage action.

I dont know what your idea of a "Fine custom gun" is? To me its one using a nicely figured piece of wood with quality checkering and polished bluing ect. That would be built around a Mauser, Winchester model 70 or a Springfield.

Now if the custom gun was going to be more of untilitarian piece with a cheap drop in stock I would not have a problem using the Savage.

What are your plans for the gun?
wood or synthetic?
High grade user gun? wall hanger? untilitarian?

Good luck, Tony
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Everyone will have their favorites.....but for me a my custom rifle would be built on a mauser, Winchester M70 or Ruger CRF action. Some nice wood...open sights and custom scope bases. Caliber are easy for me as well. I already have this custom in 35 whelen. I'd build another in 250 Savage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought my first mauser on friday, and i plan on many more. My vote goes to mauser

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Remington or custom, with a Remington you can start out with an affordable action and continue to do more with it as funds come me available. I'd begin by trueing the action, lapping the lugs, that will give you good accuracy. As funds become available you can add a Jewell trigger, a PTG bolt, and maybe a Badger bolt knob.

All that beeing said the amount of money you'll have invested in accurizing any action you can just about buy a custom action that won't need anything but a barrel. I really like BAT actions but there are others that do a great job for a little less money, 10x is making some nice actions, stiller actions are nice too. They are plenty of customs to choose from
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 PM

I prefer the Winchester model 70 action.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gunnerhmr has a good point if a person wants a true custom gun it should have a custom action Kelbly's, Stiller, Bat, ect. A custom action can be found for about the same amount a tricked out factory action and even if tricked out more than likely it won't be as good a good custom action or as smooth.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

My idea is exactly what you described Tony. I've found a couple sites online that have nice stocks in different grades. Richards Microfit was the last site I was looking at, or should I say drooling over.

While I don't want a wall-hanger, I do want something that isn't so nice that I won't want to take it to the range or field. Whatever I make will both look nice on the wall and set up to be a tack driver.

I wish I could find a Mod 70 action that was worth a darn for under a grand. Seems like anyone that has a Win with a Mauser action thinks it's gold plated. Even the ones that I've seen in the shops that are post 64 are on par with Savage. The actions are either sloppy or feels like there's sand in them.

So, that begs the next question. Where is a good place to find an action? I've been looking on GB, but am leery given the variation in quality I've seen. I don't see anyone else out there that has actions or whole guns for sale.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

GB is a good place to look. I would just make sure that the seller will give you a three day inspection period. It will be a non shoot inspection, but most dealers will give you three days. I always read the feedback of the seller before I do any clicking.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Do not waste your money on a Richards microfit stock, seriously, pick an action, scope and barrel you'll be happy with but do not waste your time with Richards microfit. There are way too many stock guys out there that charge the same amount and give you ten times what they'll give you in quality. My friend has a business CRS Custom rifle Stocks, Joel Russo from Harrisburg area also does a fine job. Jesse can provide you with wood or you can give him a piece you want duplicated, he has hundreds of patterns to choose from, call him, better yet, if your in Centre County its worth stopping by to see his inventory, call first before stopping in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page