Sling screws loose - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Sling screws loose

Noticed while bear hunting that the part that the sling attaches to was screwing out of my 760(butt end).Looked at the rest of my guns and have a Model700 that was loose also.I tried to tighten them but when they are tight the hole for the sling is off.Any suggestions on something to put in the screw hole to get them to tighten up?The 760 is a wood stock and the 700 is black synthetic.I thought about wood glue in the hole then putting the screw in but with my luck that would make it worse.Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Sling screws loose

ive had them tight and off center, and ive went for a bigger allen wrench for more leverage. but be careful.

if you dont want to put more leverage on them, i would say use epoxy because it will also seal it if the threads are still showing on eyelit screw.

Should I shoot? I don't care, im not the one holding the gun, if it was me, we'd be skinning by now.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfish
Noticed while bear hunting that the part that the sling attaches to was screwing out of my 760(butt end).Looked at the rest of my guns and have a Model700 that was loose also.I tried to tighten them but when they are tight the hole for the sling is off.Any suggestions on something to put in the screw hole to get them to tighten up?The 760 is a wood stock and the 700 is black synthetic.I thought about wood glue in the hole then putting the screw in but with my luck that would make it worse.Thanks in advance for any help.
In the past I used flat toothpicks and glue for wooden stocks. Place three or four of the thin ends of the toothpick in the hole, trim them to length flush with the stock, add a drop or two of waterproof wood glue then thread the stud in all but about the last 1/8 of a turn. After the glue sets turn the stud in the last little bit to square it.

On synthetic stocks JB Quick works well. Coat the stud threads with release agent, put a small amount in the hole and install the stud again stopping short about 1/8 turn. If some JB oozes out around the stud clean it off with a Q-Tip. Allow the JB to setup for maybe fifteen-twenty minutes or so then turn the stud in the last 1/8 turn.

If you want them permanently attached degrease the studs, use JB, Devcon Plastic Steel or a similar product then screw the studs in.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

try using a paper shim. It compresses and hold tension on the threads in wood stocks. the paper match works great (tear the head off). Remove the screw, insert the match and leaving a little sticking out of the hole. After a few turns use a single edge razor blade to cut off the excess and turn it down slowly till it goes where you want it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 AM
The Man

Epoxy is ideal. It's not like you will ever want to take it back out?

Trying to tighten the screw another partial turn will cause problems. I know...I tried it. The match idea Harry though out there will work. Not perminantly, but it will work. Actually now that I think about it, a combination of wood glue and matches would probably work great. The problem with matches or even paper is that it expands and contracts with any moisture in the air. The glue would fix that.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page