Winchester Extreme Weather - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Winchester Extreme Weather

I am planning my first hunt out west for 2016. Listening to some sound advice from others who have hunted outside of PA more times than I can count. I am planning a Combo Hunt in Wyo. For Mule deer and pronghorn. Draw is 100% and success rates are very good. I have posted another post asking for advice on the hunt in the outfitters and guides forum. So if you happen to have any advice. I would greatly appreciate some.

I am planning on purchasing a new rifle for this hunt. Not that I need one, but it's definitely a good excuse to buy a new rifle. I currently own a 270 win, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, 300 win mag that would all be good choices for this hunt. However. This hunt I wanted to give something new a try. I am a bit of a ballistic calculator junkie and I have taken a liking to the 6.5.

I am interested in the Winchester Extreme weather in a .264 Win Mag. This gun with the 26 inch barrel running close to a max charge under a 125gn partition or a 127gn Barnes LR TSX has the potential to have more energy down range then a 270 with a 130gn bullet.

Has anyone had any experience with the gun or caliber on game? Range accuracy? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Winchester Extreme Weather

I have an EW in 300WSM, and a SuperGrade in 264WM, so I sort of have your question "bracketed", lol.

The EW 300WSM shoots around 1.5-2" at 200 yards for me, and 3-3.5" at 300. That's with a 180gr Partition and RL17, knocking down about 2975fps.

The 264 has shot successive groups at 300 that went 2.1 and 2.2 inches. That's with a 140gr Accubond on top of RL33 and going well north of 3200fps. The 264 is my antelope rifle this year, as I'm headed to WY as well, but just for antelope, not muleys.

My 264 load has proved a little too warm, so I'm going to rework it, but I have killed a whitetail doe with it. The holes in the hide were not spectacular, but the internal damage was nothing short of catastrophic. Holy cow. The deer simply fell over. No twitching or kicking.

I think you're making a very good choice with your pick in rifles. The EW's have a good composite stock, they will take a lot of hard hunting and not show it. They are light, and they point extremely well, with good balance. The bolt on mine was a tad "gravely" feeling at first. That was gone 100 rounds in, and it's probably almost the smoothest (if not THE smoothest) M70 I own, and I have a prewar pre64, two other pre64's, a Classic from the 90's, and an XTR from the early 80's in addition to the 264 and 300WSM.

I would think hard about going light for a WY hunt. Wind is not an "if" out there. I will stick with the 140's for just that reason. If you're ok with running it over 60k psi, you'll get the 140's well over 3000, and you should easily get over 3100. Some make 3200, some don't. No matter. At those speeds with a 140 6.5mm bullet, you're working with a great BC, and should have a serious antelope rifle on your hands.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Tdd,

Thank you for the response. I was only considering the 125/127 because of the 1/9 twist rate. But your getting great accuracy with the 140s out of your rifle so. I might go that direction. I was reading that a 1/8 is usually best for the 6.5, 140 grains and above. What barrel length do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

26".

A buddy of mine has a m70 sporter that does just as well with the 140 Ballistic Tip as mine does with the Accubond. He's running RL25 with great results.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outstanding. I run accubonds in three of my other rifles and it would be nice to do the same with the winny. What magnification have you been running on those bean field guns.?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

My 264 has a Swaro Z3 4-12x50BT on it. My buddy has a 3-9 Minox on his, I think....or something in that range. Might be a 2-10, but it's not a huge scope by any means.

12x has been plenty for me on the 264, but very long shooting isn't really feasible anywhere I've hunted. We'll see how it goes in WY in Sept when I'm after antelope.

My 300WSM has a 2.5-10x45 Leupold VX7. The 4-12 on the 264 is my largest scope, in size and power. Most are 3-9 or near that range.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

4x12 is what I was thinking as well.

That is the plan for this 264. Are you going DYI, outfitter?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Kinda a mix. I'm going with people I know from another forum, one of whom has hunted a specific ranch for quite a few years and knows it well. There will be maybe 10 of us total, hunting in pairs sort of on our own, with guidance from the more experienced folks. Our "guide," using the term loosely, has told me he has never seen anyone need more than 2 days to put a buck down, unless they get really picky about wanting a monster.

I'm actually thinking of dragging my flintlock long rifle out. If I get a buck and can also pick up a doe tag, I may try to get a doe with the flintlock. Folks who've been in the same area agree that while it will be very challenging, it's not impossible.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That would be an accomplishment. A flinter goat. Make sure you get plenty of pictures!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great post. Personal experience on a combo hunt in WY, saw shots at 300+ yards. The antelope is not too hardy so the 264 will knock em down, but the big mulies will be more of a challenge. I used a 270 wby mag, and just luv the gun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page