Ruger M77 Mark II - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Ruger M77 Mark II

I have the opportunity to purchase a Ruger M 77 in 25-06. Now I own quite a few Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Etc.. but I do not have a long gun made by Ruger. I have a few of there wheel guns and I love them. Does anybody have any experience with the M 77 or m 77 mark II. THey would like to share? Accuracy? Action? Quality? THis is a walnut stock with blued barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Ruger M77 Mark II

I have one in 223. It shoots very well. I like the fact that they come with built in scope bases and rings. It is sometimes hard to track down the right set for a rifle.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:01 AM

I had five. None of them dazzled me with accuracy and one was a brand new Hawkeye.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 AM

I like Ruger's and have had a few and still have a couple. The Mark II should be a controlled round feed which is often desireable over push feed. Sometimes you hear of long throats in the Ruger which can make them problematic at times for accuracy. Most of the ones I have had have shot very well. If it was soemthing I liked and could use, I wouldn't hesitate with a Ruger. Not a fan of the looks of the new American model but I do like the 77's allot.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

My best friend has one in 30-06 and he loves it. It matches my Remington 700 in 30-06 off of the bench. At 100 yards off of a lead sled he could group consistently less than 1.5 inches (I don't remember him shooting a 5 shot group bigger than that but for sure all were less than 2 inches) with the smallest group being .5 inches. This was with just standard 150gr Remington corelockts. We did notice that the fourth and fifth shot would start to open up the group a bit if he didn't take some time to let the barrel cool down a little. That was over 40 rounds as well. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if the price was right and certainly wouldn't think twice about taking it out hunting. Don't have the 25-06 but I'm looking to remedy that in the future. Don't know what the price your looking to pay for it but I would certainly give 5 or 6 hundred for one in good condition with a decent scope. Compared to my rem 700 I would say they are very similar. I am biased and would tell you that the 700 has a smoother action, but not sure if that is truly and accurate statement. If I owned the Ruger I'd probably tell you the actions were the same.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have two Rugers in 300 win mag. Both are left hand. One is a Mark II. The other is a stainless hawkeye. Both consistently shoot factory 180 Remington core lokts into sub 1" groups at 100. I also have a Left hand hawkeye in 7mm-08. I have yet to get to the range with it. I love the feel of rugers. I love that they use all steel and no plastic like my Left hand Winchester M70 does (follower).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

To be honest, I'm really on the fence about buying it. The price is reasonable, and the gun is in good shape. I've been looking for a Remmy 700 in BDL or BDL custom deluxe, but it seems like they always slip though my fingers, I called a couple hours to late, or are way overpriced. I think frustration in not finding the gun I want has pushed me to start looking another direction. I still don't know what to do here
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
The Man

Realistically, they are higher quality than the Remingtons you mention and better made. controlled round feed, vs the push feed remington. They are built like a tank. I have a MK II in 25-06 it will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards without issue.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:15 PM

At this point in time I would buy a Ruger over a Remington. Remington's quality control is not what it used to be.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Alloy receivers that nobody wants to rebarrel because they're easy to damage in a vice. Controlled round feed which is pointless except in big bore dangerous game rifles and works against accuracy instead of for it. They're too heavy, They rust super easy , even the All Weather (ask me how I know). If you use steel wool on them to try to get the rust off you suddenly learn the bluing scratches easily and noticeably. The walnut on the stocks is plain to average. And the three action screws are a pain in the rear. Lets not forget the triggers are lousy except for the Hawkeye and the tang safety models have a little steel bar which can jump its track and render the safety inoperable. Te wing safeties tuck in too far and can be difficult to get off in a hurry. The integral bases leave you no options for rings other than Ruger. And they don't have a reputation for being tackdrivers. That's Ruger for ya.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page