Cheap scope and cheap factory ammo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Cheap scope and cheap factory ammo

I'm shooting a remington 700 using a cheap simmons 3.5x10 scope and shooting cheap federal power-shok factory ammo. I can get 3 shots under 1" at 100 yards. Why on earth would I wanna go with the expensive scope and expensive ammo? It seems that every time somebody asks a question about what scope or ammo to buy lots of people wanna jump down somebodys throat cause they are using a cheap combo set up (like me). So I came up with this poll thingy. What set up do you use and what kinda groups do you get?

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Re: Cheap scope and cheap factory ammo

I don't like to miss.

Leopold 3X9X40 Winchester 168gr Silvertips out of a Remington 700ADL 30-06 ... 1/2 groups at 100 yards.

Too many outside factors I can't control, so the one I can, I like to make sure it is in my favor.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thing is...why spend several hundred on a gun and top it with a $30 scope? I mean there are a lot of good scopes out there under $200, you dont have to pay 300 or more for a scope to get a good one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

But do you think that using the expensive scope/expensive ammo combo makes you shoot better groups? Or would you still be able to shoot just as good of groups if the shooter did there part? Not knocking you or your shooting, just asking a question.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm
Thing is...why spend several hundred on a gun and top it with a $30 scope? I mean there are a lot of good scopes out there under $200, you dont have to pay 300 or more for a scope to get a good one
Right but my point is if I can shoot under 1" with a $30 scope why would I wanna spend more.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
But do you think that using the expensive scope/expensive ammo combo makes you shoot better groups? Or would you still be able to shoot just as good of groups if the shooter did there part? Not knocking you or your shooting, just asking a question.
I was always taught you should spend as much on glass as you do the iron. That being said, I tried Remington Core Locs and did not group as well as the Winchester Silvertips.

My gun likes the Winchesters better, yours may like to eat federal or hornady better, I dunno. I just like to stack the cards in my favor as much as I can.

Also I have had cheapo Simmons and Tascos and BSA scopes ect and they did not bring in as much light as the Leopolds, were not as clear, and were fuzzy around the edges. I've also had the cheapo scopes fog on me and just plain break or fail to function. Never so with a Leopold.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm
Right but my point is if I can shoot under 1" with a $30 scope why would I wanna spend more.
Clearly you do not have to nor is there an issue with it. However, to me it seems kind of funny to see people walking around with $900 Kimber and a $30 Tasco. Same can be said with someone carrying a $200 NEF with a $300 Leupold scope. Just seems odd to buy a top quality rifle to put less of a quality scope on and vise versa. Again you can do it and there really isnt anything wrong with it and your happy with the results. Just doesnt make sense
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
The Man

I said cheap scope and ammo because I would consider what I shoot expensive. I would say middle of the road.

Most of my scopes were around a hundred bucks. Some a little more, some a little less. Trust me I can tell the difference between the little more and little less. The most expsensive scope I have cost $200, and it gathers light like nothing else I have. I've looked through cheapo $40 specials, and they will no doubt hold zero, and they seem somewhat clear. Take a look through a little better scope, and you will see the difference.

Ammo? I normally load my own, but I don't buy premium bullets. Normally I use Seirra gamekings. In my field trials they seem to kill deer about as dead as Nosler BT's, and they cost close to half. Right now the biggest game I hunt is deer. Don't need premium ammo

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I've had my share of cheap scopes, but i only shoot remington ammo!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Sage

The difference is that if you buy a good scope, not necessarily the most expensive but a good one, you will probably only have to buy it one time and you will have more confidence that it will hold zero and as someone else has stated, the better the scope, the better light gathering capabilities it will have.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page