Remington safety rumors - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Remington safety rumors

What is going on with the Model 700 safeties? I have a M700 .30-06 and 6-8 years ago there was a big to-do about the gun misfiring when you take the safety off... so I had the whole thing replaced. Now another story has resurfaced about the gun misfiring - is this the same issue or am I gonna have to call the factory and see if my gun is a potential risk AGAIN?!... why do I get the feeling the media is blowing this thing out of proportion...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Re: Remington safety rumors

gun safety can never be blown out of proportion
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage

Media rehash of the same issue that dates back many years.

Always keep 'em pointed in a safe direction and carry on.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Media rehash of the same issue that dates back many years.

Always keep 'em pointed in a safe direction and carry on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 points
What is going on with the Model 700 safeties? I have a M700 .30-06 and 6-8 years ago there was a big to-do about the gun misfiring when you take the safety off... so I had the whole thing replaced. Now another story has resurfaced about the gun misfiring - is this the same issue or am I gonna have to call the factory and see if my gun is a potential risk AGAIN?!... why do I get the feeling the media is blowing this thing out of proportion...?
i would call them. why risk it. i had gander do my recall on my model 600 and it cost $25 but i got a $25 dollar gift certificate.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you do not have a problem with your gun, then there is not a problem.

The problem was associated with idiots - that I wouldn't let wind my watch, trying to adjust their own triggers at home, by themselves with no knowledge of guns.

To put it another way - if you had no knowledge of electricity - you would not try to wire your own house.
If you knew absolutely nothing about automobiles - you wouldn't try to rebuild your own motor.
So why would someone with just the basic hand tools and no knowledge of guns - try to adjust their trigger? = just because all the gun writers and all their friends tells them that the best triggers has 2 lbs of pull.

You know, I don't want to insult every one here with this post, because there was some real genius here - with the improvements that Remington made over the years with their trigger group, but every time they changed something - the people who worked on the guns found a way around it.

In the instructions on how to change the pull of the trigger, there is a part that says to cycle the action repeatedly over and over again - looking for hang fires and misfires - and yet - just as with the person that sits in their car for a hour with jumper cables - because it won't start - trying to jump start it - and then thinking that the car is repaired - as soon as it starts - so too the trigger adjustment people who turned the screws and got it to work a couple of times thought that they had improved their trigger - when in fact - all they did was make it more dangerous. Most of the problems associated with adjusting the trigger = if the adjustment would have been done correctly - by a gunsmith - there never would have been any problems.

4 lbs of pull, which is what the factory trigger is usually set to - is more then adequate for a target rifle that is used once a year as a deer rifle. The problem is - that you do not need a target rifle to hunt deer and you do not need a deer rifle to be a target rifle.
There is too many things that can go wrong when you are walking through the woods. Slips and falls, tree limbs that could hit the trigger and make the gun go off - because you forget to reset the safety. etc...

That is the reason why people got hurt and that is the reason why people got killed. Not because the gun design was unsafe - but because the person who owned the gun and the person who worked on the gun made it unsafe.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

Not all the 700s that went off when the safety was released had any work done to them. The guy who invented the action knew there was a problem and told Remington about it and had already developed a fix. It is not that there was a mechanical problem that could have been fixed that is at issue, it was the way Remington stuck their head in the sand and ignored it for a long time before they acknowledged it. Home gunsmithing might have been a contributing factor to some accidental disharges but not all of them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Part of the Community

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-Trigger.htm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Engineer's made the blueprints for the guns. This is just like automobile recalls. Most problems the engineers know about before the car/truck is on the production line. The other problems are from the consumer, doing their own moding and altering the componets.

Today's world you buy everything at a risk.

Should I shoot? I don't care, im not the one holding the gun, if it was me, we'd be skinning by now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page