Remington 572 accuracy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Remington 572 accuracy

I have a sweet older rem 572. The older models have the 23.5inch barrels. I always thought pump action 22's where so cool. I Purchased it about 3 years ago. Shot it here and there, but never really thoroughly benched it to try and see how she groups. I've been thinking of doing a squirrel hunt the past several weeks so I wanted to use my 572. The thought of a perfectly placed single shot appeals more so to me than picking out hair and 6 shot.

So I take it to my range last week on one of the warmer days (temp was actually in the 30's so yeah warmer days LOL). I'm shooting this rifle benched at 50yds. My first couple shots where in a 3 inch group about 3inches to the bottom right of bull. So I re-adjusted and kept shooting. Well, over the course of my range trip the accuracy just got worse and worse. Around 20 shots later I'm shooting 6-8inch groups (which is basically everywhere). I checked the mounts and they are tight. It is not on a rail, it's just the ole 22 mounts that fit into the grooved slot on top of the receiver. The screws holding the scope are tight and so on. Sooooooo what the heck! I even stripped the rifle before the range trip and cleaned it spotless! The scope is an older 22 bushnell scope so maybe it could be the scope, but any ideas???
One thing I noticed about the rifling in this 572 is that the lans and grooves are very very small and thin. Take for example the rifling on a Marlin golden 39A are way bigger, sharper, and more robust. I know that could also be just because of Marlins micro-groove, but the 572 is not as aggressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Remington 572 accuracy

Oh and does anybody know how a trigger kit to help lighten the pull. I believe the trigger group is the same as the 760, 7600, 870, and etc? Not totally sure , but I know it is the same trigger group as several remington rifles.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

OK not a gunsmith and probably will get flack on this but anyway, to lighten the trigger on my 760 and 7600 all I had to do was remove the spring and carefully squeeze it with a pair of pliers so as not to compress it too much! Had a friend loading for me before I started and he wanted to know who did the trigger work on my gun. Ha! Ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Could be the ammo.

WILLY P
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

definitely could be the ammo ! I had better luck with fed silver than other 22 ammo. Depends what you want to do with it. 22 ammo is 22 ammo !!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

There's a big variation in the accuracy of .22 ammo. I always had excellent success with CCI standard velocity. You might want to get a box of match ammo and see how that does.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I was shooting remington thunderbolt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEarcher
I was shooting remington thunderbolt.

Thunderbolts are not known for consistency, they are my least favorite of the bulk ammo. See if you can get some CCI Standard Velocity. In my experience they are a pretty good round for accuracy testing without getting into the very expensive match rounds. Just remember, 22rf rifles can be very finicky when it comes to ammo they like.

Also, if you have scrubbed the bore real good it can take several rounds to get the barrel "seasoned". A lot of 22rf barrels have been ruined by improper aggressive cleaning.

Always check the scope and mounting system first.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Ohhh boy. ok I'll try and find CCI Standard Velocity. I know how tough it can be finding .22 ammo now lol.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a 572 and in my humble opinion it was an absolute piece of crap. I sold it for $100 and was glad to see it go. I bought a Marlin Model 39AS and like it much better.
As for the ammo, I agree with RobOz, CCI standard velocity is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page