Gun Safes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gun Safes

If you were going to get on of these which one
Dunhams has this Cannon Safari 36 Gun Safe and Dicks has this one Field & Stream Pro 32 + 6 Gun Fire Safe both are $599 for a couple days thanks

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Gun Safes

I'd go with Cannon in most case, but the Safari series generally doesn't have as good of a warranty as the regular Cannon safes, so I would check out the warranty and go with which ever one has the higher fire rating to at least give you a chance.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Little info on fire ratings on safes.

http://www.pendletonsafes.com/about/...-fire-ratings/

We believe an informed customer is the best, and often happiest customer in the long run. When armed with all the facts, we can make truly educated decisions about which products will be the best fit, and provide the most value over time.

Most mid to upper level safe companies boast impressive-sounding fire ratings that ensure protection for (X) amount of time with (Y) outside temperature, not to exceed 350 degrees inside the safe. However, these ratings are often deceiving due to the methods by which the safes are tested. As it stands, there is no standard set of tests specifically for evaluating the fire resistance of a gun safe. In fact, most companies use different private testing organizations to evaluate and assign fire ratings to their safes. These testing procedures often vary, and are exclusively based on how well paper documents resist damage as ambient temperatures rise. The problem with this approach is that most people incorrectly assume that paper in a safe will burn before a gun. This is not true. Since steel and other metals "gather heat" much more easily than paper, guns and other valuables will heat up more quickly and reach higher temperatures than documents in the same amount of time. You might notice this principle the next time you go outside to pickup the newspaper from your driveway on a hot summer day. While the hood of your car is too hot to touch, you can easily pick up the paper and carry it inside without any discomfort. It seems to go against logic, but it can all be explained by the scientific principle of Specific Heat Capacity.

When a safe is in a house fire, it acts like a huge convection oven the fire outside the safe heats up the air inside the safe which, by convection, transfers heat to the firearms and valuables stored in the safe. How quickly your valuables become damaged by the fire depends on three things the temperature inside the safe, the burning or melting point of the various materials that make up your valuables, and the specific heat capacity of those materials. Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to change the temperature of one kilogram of a substance by one degree. In other words, the higher a material's specific heat capacity, the more heat energy is required to raise the temperature of that material. Specific heat capacity is extremely important when taking into consideration the fire-rating of a safe. The paper document used in a typical fire-testing procedure has a specific heat capacity of 1.4 (Kcal/Kg C) and an ignition point of 451F. By comparison, aluminum, steel, gold and silver have much lower specific heat capacities of 0.91, 0.49, 0.13 and 0.23 respectively. This means that the steel barrel of your rifle or aluminum casing of your scope will heat up a lot more quickly and easily than any paper document in the safe. With an ABS plastic gun stock melting at 221F and wood solids starting to break down at around 575F, you can image how quickly a gun can become ruined under heat conditions that would cause little, if any damage to a paper document in the same safe. If companies began fire-testing their safes using guns and other valuables as the standard, rather than documents, they would find that conventional fireproofing does little to prevent the safe's contents from being quickly destroyed by a typical house fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Part of the Community

I agree with RobOz on the value of fire rating. I recommend staying away from Cannon safes, their locking mechanisms tend to deteriorate from what I have experienced. Field and Stream safes are made by Gardall or Sentry, neither of which are high on my list of considered "secure." I am a forensic locksmith and have dealer accounts with many safe companies. I am not a dealer for Liberty Safes, but they are my recommendation for the best safe for the money. Gander Mountain usually has some outstanding sales on them. I'm sure others do, too, I just happen to see Gander Mountain's pop up occasionally. Watch slickguns.com for Liberty sales.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

I did a lot of research before buying my Liberty Safe, and am very happy with the one I bought from Lowes. If you are a Veteran Lowes give a 10% discount to Vets.
Also buy bigger than you think you will need. You can out grow a gun safe fast.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady
Also buy bigger than you think you will need. You can out grow a gun safe fast.
Excellent advice !!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea i know there are better ones out there, but being the funds $700 max.. i have a limit, my guns have been in a wooden gun cabinet for 30yrs and now i figured i would look around and see whats out there in that price range thanks for the input guys

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

If looking for a Liberty Gun safe forget about Lowes. I just checked there site. They no longer sell Liberty, Glad I got mine when I did.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Two or three years ago my buddy got a big Liberty Fatboy at Cabelas for a little over 700 bucks. It was at the scratch and dent sale. The scratch was on the back of the safe. Watch the sale flyers in the mail...deals are out there.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Part of the Community

It's not quite as big as you were looking for, but if you watch the sales you may get a bigger one for the same price.

Liberty 24-gun safe $699

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page