Mossberg ATR problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Mossberg ATR problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this rifle last year.It shot well and now shoots groups like a shot gun! I've changed bullets and then powder,next was to be the brand of brass.The problem still was there?
I checked my stock bolts and the front one was loose,so i snugged it up? Grouping got worse!
I took the gun apart and looked and thought and looked and thought"What the h*** could be wrong?"
It is a wood stocked and flat black finished barreled action.Then,there it was,a shinny spot that should not be there????
The front bolt was going up into the action to far and jamming on the threads of the barrel[in the receiver]!The shinny spot was crushed threads,on the barrel? The wood stock either shrunk or collasped and now the bolt is too long! This let the barrel and action jump around.
I shot a lot of rounds,these last couple of weeks trying to find the right one for the gun!Who'd a thought it could be that bolt???? Well,me,i should have? I had gun act the same way before but it was pillar bedded[a Savage rifle]. The front pillar came unglued,just enough to do the same thing! Now to fix it?I may either grind the bolt shorter or try to find a spacer for under the bolt head. The spacer is my first choice.
If anyone is interested,i will repost how it turns out?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Sage

Re: Mossberg ATR problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ATR has been the topic of much bad press, including bolts that come apart upon firing. Google and you will find lots of info, little of it good.

I believe this is essentially the same rifle once marketed as the Raptor?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Re: Mossberg ATR problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen a lot of bad press on the Mossbergs as well.

I'd say the best option would be to bed the entire action. Even if you shorten the action screw or install a spacer it still won't correct the compression issues with the wood stock. At some point down the road the wood stocks instability is going to cause accuracy issues.

WMU 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page