Hornady-Custom/superformance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Hornady-Custom/superformance

I got a box of Hornady Superformance the other day at Gander Mountain for my 243....

I have a box of the same grain bullets here and sat and looked at the boxes and read them and can still not understand what exactly is the differance between them!

I know when I've looked at the customs and superformance before, the superformance was more then the custom but they had them on sale the other day for the same price as the customs and I figured might as well try them and see how they do!

Is it just the type or Powder or is it the type of powder and how much powder they use??

I'm missing something on the box that tells the 2 apart!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
The Man

Re: Hornady-Custom/superformance

I've read several places the only way to get the extra speed from them is to shoot them from a really long barrel. Longer than most sporting arms barrels made.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM

From my understanding it is a custom blend of powder.
I beleive the ballistics is very similiar to the older line of Light/Heavy mag loadings they used to offer - only this time around it is done at much less pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1
From my understanding it is a custom blend of powder.
I beleive the ballistics is very similiar to the older line of Light/Heavy mag loadings they used to offer - only this time around it is done at much less pressure.
That's my understanding as well. I also recall reading somewhere that the Superperformance and LeverEvolution powders will be available as reloading components too.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

So it is just different powder?

Anyone know if it is less powder then the customs?

I'm going to run a few thru the rifle tomorrow and see how they do.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Supposed to be higher velocities with less pressure.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Superformance/

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Part of the Community

I read somewhere that it is two different powders that are in different layers.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Woody, I ried the superperformance out of my .243 savage and tikka two weeks ago and was impressed. I'm not at home right now and will check actuals when I get there, but through my buddies chrono we were getting 10-20 fps faster with both rifles then what was written on the side of the box. My groups open up slightly due to the 80 grain bullet with the savage. My rifle(savage) loves 100 grain federal power shoks or the 95 grain fusions. When I say opened up I mean to right at 1 MOA. My rifle with the 100 grainers is sub MOA for three shots. She opens up on the fourth and fifth shots. I don't mind that though for a standard contour barrel I'll take that anytime. My tikka t3 lite in .243 loves them though. Its the complete opposite with the tikka vs the savage. The tikka loves the 80 grainers in I don't care what type of bullet, but shoots the 100 grainers badly.

Sorry I've never shot the custom, so I have no input or comparison to give you between the two.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I just back from checking traps and then sitting down at the farm and running 5 shots of the superformance ammo thru my Rifle...

I see no differance in the point of aim, They are just like the Customs I shoot, BUT I DO SEE a Rather INCREASE in the Recoil!

I took 3 95 grn SST customs along with me, shot them after shooting the 5 superformance....those 3 had a LIGHTER Recoil feel then the 5 95 grn SST superformance!

The Superformance box says there is supposed to be LESS Recoil..I Don't Agree with that!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

more speed with less powder and recoil is a Oxymoron.

Would be like using less gasoline to burn down your house faster.
You don't get one without getting the other.

If you read their published load data - they will tell you that they tested this ammo with this rifle with this length barrel and that your results may vary - hence unless you shot the round in the exact same barrel with the exact same twist rate etc- your results will vary.

Just like looking at the ballistics chart on the back of the box. It is just for comparison purposes - not a exact reproduction of what your rifle will do after sighting it in and hitting the bulls eye a couple of times.

20 - 40 FPS faster then the cheaper factory round is not enough performance to justify the price. 20 - 40 fps faster then published data through your rifle isn't much of a difference either. Could be that your measuring device looks at it a little different then theirs does and maybe yours needs re calibrated.
Most manufacturers will downplay their performance a little - due to the fact that if it did not perform as well as published - you would have people on the forums attacking their ammo - saying that it did not perform as advertised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page