Mounting a scope question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Mounting a scope question

I have a Remington 760 30-06 with open sights. I have a Tasco 6x24 sitting in the safe that my 14 yr old son wants to put on
"Papa's" gun. Any suggestions on what type of rings and bases i need? I dont really wanna drop a bunch of cash doing this. Can I get what i need at Gander Mnt?.. Thanks guys! It is already drilled for a scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM
The Man

Re: Mounting a scope question

A good set of Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings will set ya back about $50 or so, Weavers about half of that..

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 AM
The Man

Put weavers on one worked fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

NATCHEZSS.COM HAS TALLEY ONE PIECE RINGS AND BASES FOR 28.99, JUST NOT SURE THEY HAVE THEM FOR A 7600
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin-man
I have a Remington 760 30-06 with open sights. I have a Tasco 6x24 sitting in the safe that my 14 yr old son wants to put on
"Papa's" gun. Any suggestions on what type of rings and bases i need? I don't really wanna drop a bunch of cash doing this. Can I get what i need at Gander Mnt?.. Thanks guys! It is already drilled for a scope.
My dad would say - do you want to be like me and get your deer every year? Use SEE THRU mounts!
The Weaver models are about $15.00 - at least they were the last time I bought them. The Qwik Site ones might be a couple of dollars more.

Regardless of what most gun writers writes - the natural stance for shooting is to put your rifle up to your shoulder and look through the scope.
When you use low mount scope mounts - you have to squish down your neck to look through the scope with that type of mount - but with SEE THRU mounts - the scope should be right at eye level and all you have to do is look through the scope and shoot.

Those low mounts might be nice for a person that is shooting long range on a bench and wants the Ultra Accuracy - but for Pennsylvania Whitetails - you can't beat the See Thru Mounts.

Dead Deer Don't Lie!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/c-77-see-thru.aspx

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...ID=GSHOP_402775

742 and 760 Gamemaster uses the same rings.
Model 6 uses bigger screws and requires you to take the gun to a gunsmith and have the holes drilled and tapped for the larger screws(8-48) - which are stronger in my opinion then the 6-48 screws that the 760 Gamemaster is drilled and tapped for.

Either way - these scope mounts will also allow you to keep and use your open sights - which you are already used to using.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You have gotten all good suggestions for mounts so far but I have to ask why a 6x24? Unless field hunting I think magnification at even 6 power is going to limit the field of view and quick acquisition in the woods. I'd hate to see your Son handicapped by too much magnification and have it cost him a shot.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elk Hunter
My dad would say - do you want to be like me and get your deer every year? Use SEE THRU mounts!
The Weaver models are about $15.00 - at least they were the last time I bought them. The Qwik Site ones might be a couple of dollars more.

Regardless of what most gun writers writes - the natural stance for shooting is to put your rifle up to your shoulder and look through the scope.
When you use low mount scope mounts - you have to squish down your neck to look through the scope with that type of mount - but with SEE THRU mounts - the scope should be right at eye level and all you have to do is look through the scope and shoot.
Worst post I've ever read on HPA, with much misinformation...A scope mount where the scope is mounted low to the receiver enables you to rest your cheek solidly on the stock where it belongs to make you as steady as possible..The see-through mounts force you to stretch your neck up to the point where your chin is actually on top of the stock, a very un-steady proposition at best...That's why they don't make scope mounts with 2" high bases.

As for the see-through tunnel where you have to attempt to line up your sights...The first time you get on a running deer and you try to look through that tunnel and line up your sights on it, the deer will be long gone and you will rip those see-through mounts off of your rifle with a claw hammer....About the only good purpose these mounts serve is to make a suitcase handle out of your scope lol!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
The Man

Come on, Ken, this guy provides a lot of cheap entertainment...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Come on, Ken, this guy provides a lot of cheap entertainment...
Unfortunately, such is the case.

WMU 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page