Mauser fanatics.......question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Mauser fanatics.......question

I have a K98 that says "45" on the barrel, so I'm guessing that means made in 1945? It also has a very big trigger guard that I've not seen a lot of on most K98's. I was thinking maybe a late war Czech, but it has no lion crest, no "BRNO" or anything like that anywhere on the gun. It has an eagle that is either on top of a swastika or it might not be (not around the gun at the moment, hence no pic either). Just looking to get a little more info on it even though I've had it for 10 years. So if anyone loves a good mauser and may be able to inform me even with my bad description it would be nice. Thanks.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Mauser fanatics.......question

Most likely a gun assembled from parts. Look at all the major pieces, they all should have numbers stamped on them. If all the numbers match...stop..and get us some pics. If they are all different, you have a parts assembly gun. Barrel stamp can be the date, but can also be the code for the barrel factory, depends on where it is on the barrel. A total parts gun still has a parts value of at least $200, usually more. Pics would be great. The barrel codes and factory codes are all listed online .

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 AM

You are correct is that the large trigger guard is Czech manufacture post-war. This link should help:
Post war Czech Mausers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm not doubting you one bit, but wouldn't a Czech gun have a lion crest or some other symbols? Like the BRNO or something? It is a 4 groove.

-Edgar Allan Poe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Ok will do when I get home in the next month or so. I'm just going off things I can picture in my head. The gun was sporterized long ago also. The "45" is on the receiver right by the K98

-Edgar Allan Poe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 AM

The Czech VZ24's would have the lions head or a date on the receiver. But the Czech's made a LOT of mausers for themselves and other countries in a lot of different configurations. I have quite a few of their varients. Need pic's to identify. Here's a link to another Czech mauser click
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Stetam, that mauser is just about identical to mine. Like I said, mine was sporterized, but the wood grain and lighter color are an exact match. Identical trigger guard/floorplate and adjustable ramp. Mine is missing the sight hood, and my bolt was bent backward. Thanks. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

-Edgar Allan Poe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I also had to take a dremel to the feeding ramp because the thing about mine was that it always had a bit of a reliable feeding issue. The extractor wouldn't always engage the rim properly, so many rounds went into the chamber, yet the bolt wasn't even attached to it, so I had to drop a cleaning rod down the barrel to bump the shell back out. I believe the ramp was too steep, and I took I'd say about 20-30 thousanths, maybe more off and it seemed to work a bit better the last time I shot it, but even that was a while ago. I just got 100 rounds of Romanian 154 grain I plan on running through it soon.

P.S. If you know of any good sources to buy mil surp 8x57 let me know. It took me a while to find some. Everyone is either sold out, or offers like 400+ rounds that I didn't have the money for.

-Edgar Allan Poe
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM

Not milsurp, but Midway has PPU for $18/20rds.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Graf's has milsurp Romanian corrosive berdan-primed, laquered steel core for $12/20rds.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page