Accurizing Rem Model 7 7mm-08 walnut stock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Accurizing Rem Model 7 7mm-08 walnut stock

Looking to make some mods to my model 7's wooden stock. Took it to a gunsmith and he recommended removing the support hump in the stock and glass bedding it. Did some research and found a lot of guys say not to remove the hump because of the thin (pencil) barrels on the model 7's. Others say removing the hump makes a big improvement in accuracy. Any experience with these mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Accurizing Rem Model 7 7mm-08 walnut stock

I would full length bed it. I have been shooting Model Sevens for at least 25 years and have always found they shoot best with the pressure point or full length bedding job. Also, I don't expect BR groups from the little rifle and I want the cold bore shot to hit where I aim it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Bed it! I've done a bunch of them over the years and it does help. I group before and after and have always seen very good improvements in groups plus you get consistency in your zero.

manharts gunsmithing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a fiberglass (not injection molded plastic) model 7 that shoots best with a pressure point. I have other guns with light contour barrels that shoot best when floated.There is no way to say your gun will or will not shoot better or more consistant with or without the pressure point. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

If it was my gun I would determine a realistic accuracy level that I wanted the gun to consistantly achieve. Then I would bed the action and free float the barrel. Test it and see what type of accuracy it will obtain consistantly. Then I would install a pressure point and go thru the accuracy testing again. You can use paper shims to create a temporary pressure point. You can also vary the thickness of the shims to determine if your gun likes more or less pressure, doing accuracy testing for each different configuration. Then you will be able to determine what gives the best and most consistant accuracy in your gun. If your gun shoots best with a pressure point you can then glass in a permanant pressure point using the shims to keep the pressure consistant until the glass hardens. Then I would shoot the gun for accuracy and POI consistency under varying temperature and humidity conditions. Since the gun has wood stock there is the possibility that a pressure point will change the guns POI under different conditions.

Good luck, Tony
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the input....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 AM

I had one and removing the pressure point helped. It still was not very accurate. I was very disappointed in it.

My new Ruger American Compact is way more accurate. I really like it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
dce
Sage

I had a stainless synthetic model 7 in 308 that never really shot better than 1 3/4" at 100 yards.I bought a compact model 7 in .243 a few years ago for my son and it shot right around an inch.This past spring I put a bell&carlson medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block and it shoots a little better now.As long as you don't heat the barrel up,it shoots fine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 PM
dce
Sage

I forgot to add.The medalist stock essentially free floats the barrel.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

DCE, Does the aluminum bedding block replace the original pressure point "hump" in the original stock?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATurkeyHntr
DCE, Does the aluminum bedding block replace the original pressure point "hump" in the original stock?
A bedding block supports the action. It is not part of a pressure point on the forend of the stock.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page