Flip-Up Scope Covers... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Flip-Up Scope Covers...

2 trips to Colorado and 2 sets of trashed Butler Creek scope covers. The oak brush is brutal. Actually the objective end has faired ok, but the eye piece got ripped off last year and broken off this year.

So, I'm wondering if the Leupold scope covers are any better? (I have a Leupold VX-II 4x12.) I believe they are made from Aluminum and are threaded to screw into the objective and EP ends of the scope?

I'm a fan of the flip up covers and really want to stick with those, I really like the see through Butler Creek model I have & I see that Leupolds appear to all be solid, which I can deal with. I am also considering getting a "Rain Cote" lens for the objective for extra protection so any feed back on that would be appreciated as well.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd like to hear them as well.

Thanks!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Flip-Up Scope Covers...

I have the Leupolds on all my Leupold scopes they are expensive but in my opinion well worth the money someplaces sell a kit the objective and eyepiece for about 10 dollars cheaper than you would normally pay for them I bought mine from Cabelas or midwayusa local gun shop never had any in stock

Freezer full yet?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 PM

I hate to say this but black electrical tape will keep them on.I do this with sockets at work.Don't look pretty but fully functional.If you have money to waste take other avenues.My sons 30-30 has them taped on.I killed a deer with it left handed and I'm righty.The reason for the lefty shot was a tree in the way righty.Anyhow the deer tasted good.If you can't shoot both I understand.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Pretty sure the Leupold covers that screw in are non flip up, and would need to be threaded off to see through the scope. I definitely wouldn't want that on a hunting rifle.

From the pictures on their website, it appears their flip up covers slide over the objective like the Butler Creeks, but I might be wrong. They are made from aluminum, which should make them pretty durable.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had the same problem, I use the Leupold screw in ones now I really like them...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you busted the scope cap - then you had it open when you were walking through the brush.
The key would be to leave them closed until you needed them or take them off and store them in a case in good weather.
I like the Blizzard Creek caps because you can see through them.
I probably walked 10 miles one year trying to find a lost scope cap. New one was only $8.00
Made 3 trips up to the woods to look for it.
Probably spent more money on gasoline then what the cap was worth.
I would treat them as a disposable item if I was you and just buy new ones and not bother with the Leupold scope covers.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

I gave up on scope covers and went to Rainguard Bushnell Elite scopes for days when rain is expected. Good solution on a rainy day.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

I gave up on scope covers and went to Rainguard Bushnell Elite scopes for days when rain is expected. Good solution on a rainy day.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Tried the black electrical tape, it did keep the caps on.

I DO leave the caps closed until I need them, but the one on the eye piece got flipped up at some point going through the brush and by the time I noticed it, it was already torn where the cap is hinged. That's why I'm wondering if the Leupold ones are more durable.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just saw this old thread & not sure if anyone answered this directly.

Yes the Leuo scope caps are expensive, but they are worth every penny!!! You will not regret spending the extra cash on them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page