Switching bullets in my 270 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Switching bullets in my 270

Let me be the first to say I do not know that much about ballistics, that's why I am here. For the longest time I have shot Federal Premium Nosler bullets out of my 270 and I have been happy with them. A friend of mine is getting out of hunting and he is giving me his bullets he has. (almost 100 rounds of factory ammo) They are Federal round nose bullets. I only use my gun for deer hunting and 150 yards might be my max. shot where I hunt. You guys anticipate much of a difference in how they shoot out of my gun?

The big woods of Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Re: Switching bullets in my 270

Every gun is different. The only way to know is to try them out. But if they are free, what's to loose? Even if they don't shoot exactly to the same point of aim, they will make for good practice ammo.

Big LSWC's rule
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM
The Man

Compare the number of grains on the two. In general, heavier bullets will drop more. But, unlikely more than an inch difference at that range, and at that range, 1" usually means very little (sounds like you're deer hunting). Also, in my experience, there is less chance of deflection with the roundnose than with the pointed tips. So if you're hunting thick with lots of small limbs, it might be an advantage. But like Pete said, shoot em. And then shoot em some more.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

The nose of the bullet means squat when it comes to bullets getting deflected by obstacles. The sure way to stop that from happening is to be certain of a clear shot.

You could put the same exact bullet in the same rifle with a slightly different powder charge and get very different accuracy results. Having been handloading for a little while now, I've taken a rifle shooting a given bullet at 3-4" at 100 yards to shooting it into under 3" at 300 yards. I've seen groups open and tighten from small changes to charges of powder or seating depth.

Going from one mass produced batch of ammo to a different mass produced batch of ammo is a completely blind switch. There could be no difference in group size or POI, or it could be all over the map. There's no way to know until that rifle shoots that ammo on paper. Then you'll know.

Sure is worth the try, though, if the ammo is free. But don't expect miracles.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
The Man

Round nose will drop faster than pointed bullet but at a max of 150 yards they will be fine. That is all folks used in their lever action rifles for many years and they did OK.
As said shoot them and see how they affect your point of aim and adjust accordingly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM
The Man

Resight your rifle with the new bullets. Go hunting. And don't worry about it. From what you are saying, you will have no issues.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for your help guys. There is no difference in weight wise from what I was shooting to what he is giving me....and yes I only need the gun for deer. Hunt mostly thick areas but sometimes a shot of 100-150 yards is possible.

The big woods of Potter County
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM
The Man

I do a lot of shooting and yes there will probably be difference in point of inpact. Just make sure you re sight your gun before season like everyone should do. I don't care for or use round nose bullets but they will work fine for what you mentioned. I always heard a 270 would kill anything shot thru it. Don't think you can shoot thru things now because your using round nose buets, that's why they make chain saws. If they are free and you can use them fine. However, if you had super good luck with previous bullets and flattened everything you shot at and one gets away with new load you will do some thinking.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Are they both 130 g or are the roundnosed ones heavier?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page