Scoping dilemma - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Scoping dilemma

I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem which I mainly use on drives, I can't decide which scope to go with :

Bushnell Red Dot Scope
Redfield 3x9x40
Cabelas Lever Evolution 3x9x40 Pine Ridge special

This gun will primarily be used on drives in thick stuff (scrub oak) for bear and deer and as a backup rifle.
( shoot remington 200gr bullets ))

Opinions ... experiences ...

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Scoping dilemma

That's a great gun for your purpose. If your eyes are up to it, I'd skip the scope and stick with the iron sights and binos. You might want to have the front sight replaced with a fiber optic for fast aquisition. This worked very well for me unil my eyes got too old, then I switched to a Leupold 1.5 - 4X and keep it at 1.5 power for maximum field of view.

Take responsibility for your actions.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
The Man

In a gun like that I like a nice light compact straight 4x. I have a Bushnell 4x32 on my slug gun, and love it. It's very simple and works well.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would use a red dot scope for super fast target aquisition. I like them a lot nicer than fiber obtic. I have red dots on my back up deer rifle, 10/22 and ar15(BSA red/blue/green dot). my 30/30 used to be just iron sites, then i put a scope on it, so if something would happen to they then i have my 30-06 with red dot to back it.

Should I shoot? I don't care, im not the one holding the gun, if it was me, we'd be skinning by now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM

A low power variable scope would work well. Like a 1.5-4.5x or even a 2-7x. At the lowest power setting, you'll have plenty of field of view. You can learn to look through it with both eyes open, and you can pick up moving objects easily.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Get gun and caliber.

I have not yet found a red dot that I liked, maybe it is just me, but most seemed like they would not hold up to the pressures of hunting and weather I am used too.

As for scopes, I am a low power guy, becasue 95% of any shooting oppertunity on a drive is going to be fairly close and need to happen quick. I have a removable Leupold fixed 2.5x20 on my Marlin Guide Gun, most times I use the XO Peep sights on this one - it is my Bear gun. On 3 other rifles -I have a Leupold 2-7x33 power scopes. A Rem. 7600 carbine, A Winchester 88, My Omega inline. I also have another Leupold 2-7 coming for a newly bought Rem. 7600 in .308. As you can see, these are my favorite scopes. Dialed down to 2 power it is a quick reflex to use at close range, heavy cover, or moving animals. If time allows or you are on stand during the drive - dial it to 4 power - or if you need to see way up in the trees to try to count points - 7 power is plenty.

With that being said, I typically use the Marlin guide gun with peep sights, the Remington 7600 with a 2-7 scope, or a Winchester 1894 with a receiver open sight for our deer drives. All dpends on the weather of the day and piece of land we will be one. I really dislike hunting with a scope in the rain or with snow coming down.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Everyone that hunts or has used a scope knows what he wants in his glass,
Me personally, I have a 336 in 3030 with a Nikon 3x9x40, I had considered the 4X40. But felt the higher power would help find that 4th antler.
I have the Nikon pro staff on 3 Rifles, and for $140.00 it’s pretty hard to beat.
My only complaint of the so called shotgun scopes, and I know a lot of guys put them on 35s or 3030s, you get the lower magnification. But you loose field of view. Going from 32 to 40 doesn’t sound like much but it makes a difference.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I mistyped ealier as I was pretty tired this AM.

Actually I meant the 2x7x33 Redfield.

I thought about it in the stand this morning, and I too have reliabilty issues with the red dot. The place I typically hunt during drives is an old farm with a mix of woods and big fields so the extra magnification would be a plus. Also the 2x7 is a bit more compact than the 3x9.

I love the 336 Marlin, and have never had a deer get up from the mighty .35 Rem. My analogy is the 30-30 is hitting them with a brick and the .35 a cinder block ...

I used to use iron sights on it and wanted some see thru mounts originally, but I slipped and fell on the gun during a drive 3 years ago and the gun shot high and to the left. after that. It still groups well, but I was not going to put see thru mounts on it. I want a reliable scope with good optics, but not too expensive so I thank you all and I am going to put a 3x7x33 Redfield on it ... not too expensive in case of a similar catastrophy on rough terrain and a good wide view for running deer in brush with low power as well as a little more magnification in the big fields if I need it!!!

Thanks for the advice, and the help making my mind up for me.

PS I think the leopold and the Redfield 2x7x33 are the same scope only difference is $90 ...

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM

I have a 336 in 35 and it's got a 2.5x fixed scope. Light, compact and easy to point. If I were to put a different scope on it it would either a 4x fixed or a low power variable like a 1-4 or 5x or at the most a 2-7x like you've chosen. Good choice in my mind. I have a peep on my 444 for driving bear....we'll see how it goes. I prefer a scope, but that peep is handy, small, accurate and perfect for the task.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yankee, if my memory servers me right leopuld did buy redfield. made in the usa too

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page