THoughts on Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100 ATR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

THoughts on Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100 ATR

Contemplating between these two models

the ATR is about 50.00 less.

The ATR has a black finish with camo stock and comes in 243

THe Marlin has a black stock with stainless finish and is 7mm-08

Wondering if anyone has either of this guns, and what your oppinions are on them. They will be used for deer and coyote.

I am not a fan of the other budget rifles out there Ruger American, Savage axis, 770. And narrowed my choices down to these two I believe.

I may try and upgrade to a reminton 700 if I can sell my inline pistol.

Thanks for any insight.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Re: THoughts on Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100 ATR

I have two Marlin XS7's in 308 and 7mm08. Both are very accurate. I've never shot a Mossberg but I would take the 7mm08 over a 243 any day. My favorite "budget" rifle is the TC Venture but I just picked up a Remington 783 for $249 at Dumhams on Thanksgiving. I bore sited it at 25 yds, fired one shot, made adjustments then fired 3 shots at 100 yards. The group was under 3/4 of an inch. Moved it out to 200 yards and fired three. They grouped right around an inch. This was with the cheap Bushnell scope that came with it. I am already considering buying another. They can still be had for $259 from Grices if you buy one by the end of the month. Remington has a $40 rebate.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Take your time save $ and find a good used 700 REM A cheap rifle is just that although I have read some good reviews on the Ruger American But The Remington 700 is tuff to beat in my book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 PM
The Man

Friend had the Mossberg and it shot very good.

I add that I had a savage 111 that really shot great.

Keep your eyes open for a used 700, you can find them.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a Mossberg in .06 that was a shooter and then my neighbor talked me out of it. I have 2 Marlins, a .270 and an .06. Like both. As for caliber I would take the 7mm/08.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:04 PM
JGR

I don't own either of these rifles. Nor have I ever owned any Mossberg or a newer Marlin. I do own Glenfield / Marlins and they are shooters but I think they are like comparing apples to tires.

Have you looked into the Weatherby Vanguard S2, Savage 111, or the T/C Venture? They have a slightly higher sticker price but they are well worth the extra few dollars in my book. These are guaranteed shooters and would be at the top of my list.

At the end of the day you are the one who has to live with your decision so good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

JR
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Well guys, I went for the Marlin XS7S. Stainless steel and black synthetic in 7mm-08. I put the money down I got for my 06 and will be paying it off shortly.

Thank you for all of the insight.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:04 PM

The Marlin is basically a Savage model 10/110 clone. I've never owned one, but I've never heard bad things about them either.

WMU 3A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike
Well guys, I went for the Marlin XS7S. Stainless steel and black synthetic in 7mm-08. I put the money down I got for my 06 and will be paying it off shortly.

Thank you for all of the insight.
Mike,

I got an XL7 camo stocked version in 270 for my son two years ago. It shoots most ammo into 1 to 1.5 inch groups all day long. The coolest thing however, is that it is the least sensitive to bullet weight changes of any gun in my safe. I've had it put 130 grain scirocco groups right on top of 160 grain nosler partitian groups at 100 yards.

BUT - One thing to watch for: We had a misfire incident this year on first day. I had my son using those 160 grain loadings that I had cooked up for bear season. We never got to go bear hunting, long story, but I wanted him to use them for deer since we hunt in the woods and there was no chance for a really long shot that would need lighter bullets anyway.

We did not experience any misfires at the range or last year either. I could not remember if I had used that batch of primers before. But I found this thread on the Marlin Owners forum:

Misfires

Heeding the advice here, I checked the tightness on the firing pin assembly in the bolt body and sure enough, it was at least one turn loose. I've tightened it down but have yet to take those same reloads out for a test drive.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page