Looking for input on Weatherby - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Looking for input on Weatherby

I know very, very little about Weatherby. With that said, I just purchased a used Weatherby Vanguard (black synthetic stock) in a 300 Win Mag. Came with box and papers. Scope and rings were removed. Previous owner reports he purchased it right before deer season and fired about a box through it to sight it in. Has some very minor handling marks.

Is this gun a keeper? What is approximate worth? Yes, I already looked on gunbroker, but those prices don't always hold true depending on location.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for input on Weatherby

The Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan for Weatherby. The Howa barreled action is solid and well made. If your Vanguard is a series 2 it has an improved trigger over the previous series. Overall a very well built, and good shooting rifle.

I have a series 1 Vanguard in 257wby with a black syn stock. I had the metal cerakoted and trigger work done. It is a great shooter and my most used hunting rifle. Very satisfied with it. It's definitely a keeper.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I am fairly certain the one I picked up is a series 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

If it's a series 1 the trigger might need some fine tuning, but if you're satisfied with it, leave it alone. I'm particular about triggers, so I had mine done. If it doesn't have the rubber grip inserts in the synthetic stock, it is a series 1. Remington 700 scope bases will work on the Vanguard.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 PM

Vanguards are good guns for the money and usually shoot good, even the older ones.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:09 PM
JGR

Weatherby rifles are guaranteed sub moa out of the box. As far as "worth" gunbroker is about right for monetary value. But a good gun is priceless and I'd say you've got a keeper. But I'm a little biased. I too have a series 1 in 25-06 and love it. My buddy just got a S2 in 7mm08, and it's got me wanting one.

JR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 PM

I am really wanting an S2 with the walnut stock and blued barrel. Just need the $$$. That always seems to be the way

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a vanguard vgx deluxe in a 243. Bought it new in 1993. That rifle has shot lots of groundhogs throughout the years. Got my share of deer with it too. Very accurate. I do have to add if I was drafted to be a sniper I take her with me LOL.

My dream rifle was a mark v deluxe in a 308. 3 years ago I bought one. Topped it off with a vx3 scope. The vanguard I retired it up till this year. I had the bolt redone which was a recall. It sat in the gun cabinet after the repairs were done.

This season I took her out to the range and noticed the safety creeps forward. Usually clicks forward. Would not fire. So i checked the primer it was not punched. It acted as it was on safe. No nothing. I chambered another round and had no issues afterwards. 25 shots or so.

The first saturday rifle season. My son and i were watching a wide open field. 4 doe's walking slowly as they were feeding. My son challenged me to shoot the big doe out there 250 yards or so. I had a good solid rest and the trigger did not squeeze. Oh oh not again. I was done for the day. I was not into it. Did not trust the rifle.

Took it home and did research on line and learn the trigger needs replace. timney makes a trigger for that and my son ask me. You sure you want to put $130.00 plus gunsmith labor into it? You betcha!!

As for the mark V? I say this to co workers and friends and family. The vanguard was made in Japan. The mark V made in USA. The difference is the vanguard will out shoot the mark v any day.

I also add I have a browning a bolt med. in a 284. It shoots very well. Cuts bullet holes and it was made in Japan. I have several rifles same calibers and they don't shoot as good as the vanguard made in Japan or the A bolt.

If you have a vanguard made in Japan you got a winner. My Dad had a vanguard in 300 Wby mag. classic. That was a one heck of a fine shooting rifle. I can't say that with weatherby's made in USA. Again this is base on my experience with weatherby's made in Japan and USA. The new vanguard s2. I overlook them. I don't care for them. Yes I handled a few and work the action. I was not thrilled.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 AM

I have owned Weatherby rifles for a good many years and agree the "Vanguard" is a good rifle but it's no "Mark V".

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 PM

I have a .270 VGX that I've been using for 15 years. Not only is it a beautiful rifle but it shoots excellent. I can shoot MOA groups with it all day long. I also have .257 Wby in both Vanguard and Mark V. They are all excellent rifles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page