gun auction site practice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

gun auction site practice

I am growing quite anngry with some practices on one of the auction sites. I have been looking for a particular gun that has not been made in several years. One or two come up every three or four months. What irks me is that I am outbid at the end by somebody with no buying history and then the item shows up from the same seller a week or two later saying the buyer didn't go through with the sale. It happened twice to me on the same item and same seller.

I refused to bid anymore and filed a complaint with the auction folks. That was three weeks ago. I have not recieved any response from the auction but that seller is no longer there. Something similar just happened on another auction site. I suspect that ringers are running up the bids for the sellers. However this time the seller is in PA, so I am filing a complaint with the state auction licensing folks as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: gun auction site practice

Yeah.....if it's the same seller that this is happening to, that sounds a bit fishy.

When your a seller you don't have to accept bids from all potential buyers. I know when I did a few sales on gun broker I would not accept any offers from anyone who did not have at least three previous purchases, and good feedback from those. You as a seller can just block the potential buyer from bidding.

I don't know how much satisfaction you will get from your complaints, but good luck to you.

SW
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM

I agree 100% with you. <s>Some</s> many unethical shady gun dealers out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
However this time the seller is in PA, so I am filing a complaint with the state auction licensing folks as well.
Let us know how you make out with that. I'm not sure how the law applies to online aucton sites and unlicensed individuals.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are a lot of shady folks I'm not defending or saying right or wrong, but I do know a lot of buyers remorse goes on -people go out there online for the first time, and say 'yeah', let's do it, then they go find out they have to pay shipping, and then find the online site wants 3% more to use a credit card AND they have to pay their local dealer 30-50 bucks for paper work to receive the gun. Then while they're at the dealer finding that out, they see something that catches their eye that is cheaper and no hassle with the dealer egging them on because that is HIS sale.

I'm firmly convinced escalating fees is becoming a cottage industry here in PA.

Twice on the same item with the same seller is very suspicious, but I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility. That would be pretty dumb to pull - the second time they would just put a reserve price on it of what they have to have and save time.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sounds like the seller is bidding and making sure the gun goes for what he wants?

Tight Lines!
Tie Flies and Tell Lies
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Truthfully - if there is a gun that you want - you are better off just going to a gun store and finding a new one or a used one on the rack.

Much of what you see and hear in this world is rigged.
It doesn't matter if it is a Nascar race, a professional football game etc - they are all rigged.

If the people selling the gun does not want to sell it unless they can get top dollar for it - sight unseen, then you are going to go through this more then once.

My dad buys JUNK off Ebay - I say JUNK - because that is exactly what it is.
He gets so excited about those auctions that he sometimes would stay up all night long to see who would get the last bid.

There is a program that you can download on your computer that will allow you to outbid everyone else -buy bidding $1 more then the last bid in the last two seconds of the auction. The problem is - there is 10,000 other people with the same program trying to do the same thing you are.

Last night I was on another forum and there was a guy there crying because he bought a Winchester 300 H&H - 1955, from a guy and the guy claimed to try to save money by putting the rifle barrel and the stock in separate boxes and then boxing the two together. Somehow the box was damaged and the action got bent. The seller only insured the rifle for $500 and the seller is left with a damaged gun and no way to repair it. $500 in his opinion will not replace it.

In my opinion, the gun still belongs to the seller until the buyer takes possession and approves its condition and the sale is final. So the buyer in my opinion is not out anything. But then again, if I was selling a rifle, I would not ship it via US postal service...

So all I am going to say is that these shenanigans goes on all the time.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
The Man

I buy quite a few guns off of Gunbroker..Probably 20 or so and I have never been duped yet although some of the sellers exaggerate a bit on the condition..But then I've bought a few that were in nicer shape than I thought.

To bid on a gun and then "not" follow up on the sale, is suicide as far as using that site for bidding again....You are simply "out"....I would not blame the seller..Some folks bid without thinking of the finances involved, they just want it, and it's so easy to press the "submit" button.

Insurance is part of the price, and nobody with a brain is going to insure anything for less than the money received....Leaving yourself open to bad feedback is also like committing suicide, especially if you have racked up a lot of good feedback, as this is the first thing a smart buyer will check out before he bids.....A seller is very much at risk, especially considering that some folks are impossible to please and will threaten to give you bad feedback unless their conditions are met.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elk Hunter
My dad buys JUNK off Ebay - I say JUNK - because that is exactly what it is.
He gets so excited about those auctions that he sometimes would stay up all night long to see who would get the last bid.

There is a program that you can download on your computer that will allow you to outbid everyone else -buy bidding $1 more then the last bid in the last two seconds of the auction. The problem is - there is 10,000 other people with the same program trying to do the same thing you are.
Oh, I don't know,I sell a lot of old vintage hunting items on e-Bay, and have bought a lot of them too....Sometimes I get my price,sometimes I take a beating...One mans junk is another mans treasure.

That "last-minute" bidding program?....I wish they'd use it on my auctions!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

truthfully I buy alot off ebay for my business. Blades, grinders, polishers etc. If you know what you are looking for the site can really save you money. Same with the auction sites 4 guns. I just picked up a Ruger 243 with the paddlestock. I was looking for the right one for years. I picked it up for a great price. I have also purchased about 8 other guns and were cut and dry transactions.
I'd like to know how it turns out for you though.....good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page