300 blackout??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

300 blackout???

thinking about building the kids a new deer gun and was thinking about this caliber..how is it for the killing end?havent studied it much but was thinking it should be a ok whitetail round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 AM

Re: 300 blackout???

I have 2 ARs in this caliber. I have not personally used it on deer but I would keep shots under 100-150 yards and make sure you choose a bullet that will expand at 300 blk velocities. I loaded up Barnes tac-tx (designed specifically for 300 blk) for a hog hunt in SC but did not get a shot opportunity. I will be picking up a ruger american ranch in 300 blk as soon as I can find one. I called around everywhere last week to try to find one to use this past weekend on a doe but there was not one to be found.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
dce
Sage

Why don't you just get them a .308 and load it down?That way it will be more versatile.I moved my 9 year old up from a .243 to a Kimber Montanna in .308 this year.I loaded 150 125gr ballistic tips in front of 42.5 gr of IMR 3031.Recoil wasn't much different than a .243 even in such a light rifle.For hunting season,I loaded 125gr accubonds with the same charge.He filled every tag with that load this year including one doe at a lazered 207 yards plus I killed a couple with it.I was extremely impressed with at load.Most of the deer dropped in their tracks and all had a decent exit wound.Only two deer ran.One was a liver hit at 207 yards AND THE OTHER WAS A QUARTERING TO shot that broke the front shoulder and exited out the ribs.He only caught one lung and the deer made it about 60 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Why don't you just get them a .308 and load it down?That way it will be more versatile.I moved my 9 year old up from a .243 to a Kimber Montanna in .308 this year.I loaded 150 125gr ballistic tips in front of 42.5 gr of IMR 3031.Recoil wasn't much different than a .243 even in such a light rifle.For hunting season,I loaded 125gr accubonds with the same charge.He filled every tag with that load this year including one doe at a lazered 207 yards plus I killed a couple with it.I was extremely impressed with at load.Most of the deer dropped in their tracks and all had a decent exit wound.Only two deer ran.One was a liver hit at 207 yards AND THE OTHER WAS A QUARTERING TO shot that broke the front shoulder and exited out the ribs.He only caught one lung and the deer made it about 60 yards.
I could go that route but in 7-08 because I already have a 08 and have all the reloading stuff for it..but I kinda want a 300 BO so I figured I could get this for the kids to use also..im looking heavy at the ruger American ranch gun in 300 BO..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page