Lefever 12ga - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lefever 12ga

My father-in-law showed me a Lefever double, 12ga with a walnut stock painted gloss black. The finish was "factory" quality. In other words it is perfect. No orange peel, no brush marks or any flaws that would leed me to believe it was done "at home". Anyone ever see one like this? If so whats the history of this firearm and why the black finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Lefever 12ga

These are old guns. I hunted with one in the '60s. Heavy. Be careful as some were made with 2 5/8 chambers. If it is a short chamber shooting standard (today) 2 3/4 shells can be BAD. I had one reamed out to 2 3/4 inch chambers.

Lefevers were sturdy guns. I remember the barrels had a logo inprinted on them "never see a broken LaFever" or similiar.

Lots of double LeFever guns sold 1890-1925 or so.
They usually hada black walnut stock with a dark oil finish, as I remember. The black walnut added to that over weight feel.

You black finish could have been added. Or it might be just the oil got old, I have an old Stevens that has a stock that looks like coal; seems my step hath kept it behind the potbelly stove for defense on the farm. The oil "baked" black.

Sorry I can't identify more.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Lafever 12ga

Thanks Harrysigafoo,
This is my father-in-laws shotgun.
My mother-in-law passed away last week after 58yrs of marriage. Dad is Very distraught and wants to give up. My wife asked me to help him through this time. He used to hunt/trap/fish many years ago. He's also a lover of nature and the great outdoors so thats what we have in common. I asked him if he'd like to go to the range sometime and shoot his old firearms. That's when he brought out the Lafever to show me. He had been trying to refurbish it some years ago but forgot about it The black finish is glossy and perfectly finished. He stripped the forearm and found it to be black walnut and beautiful. The rest of the stock is still gloss black. I hear what you're saying about the oil changing the stocks color but would it change to high gloss or a matte texture? I wonder if it was a gun that may have been a part of a shooting club or some sort of "arsenal" or perhaps a military special services checkout facility where a GI could sign one out for hunting or trap shooting. We had a facility like this in Tiawan in the 60s.

At any rate from what you said about the chamber we won't be taking it to the claybird field. He is also interested in obtaining an M1 carbine but doesn't feel like paying a fortune for it. If you can help us with this I'd appreciate it. If not maybe I should enter a new post asking about it.

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can check the chamber in the gun for size. If 2 3/4 inch then you could safely fire low brass, if the gun is in good shape.
"back in the day' even standard arms had great wood by todays 'plastic' straight grain burch days. refinish the but stock and you will have a nice gun, tung oil.

The M1 carbine is a very nice rifle with good history and fun to shoot. Years ago I bought one for myself and my two brothers. Then the DCM was selling them from the gov't for $17. Still have mine and shoot it.

The CMP (formerly the DCM) still sells surplus to citizens. Try here:
http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Harry,
Was at dad's tonight and told him about all you said. He said that the black finish is in fact paint because it comes off with paint stripper. He's not interested in shooting it though. So we let it go at that.

The M1 carbine subject is just a pipe dream for him because of the cost. That web site was very interesting and informative and I appreciate you taking the time to forward it to us.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page