Reducing recoil - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Reducing recoil

Over the summer I picked up a Rem 700BDL in 35 Whelen. As most of you know, after some problems, I got it shooting great. The trouble I'm having now it the recoil. Call me a wuss, but I can only fire about 6 rounds before my shoulder is crying uncle. I thought about another recoil pad, but not sure how much that would help as it already has a substantial pad on it.

A friend mentioned getting a muzzle brake for it. I would love to get one put on, but don't feel like plunking down the cash. I found a clamp on that looks promising, but I'm worried that it will mar up the barrel. Someone else, probably tong in cheek, said to get it ported. I thought that was only an option for shotguns.

So what is everyone's opinion on this? I really need to do something before next summer. I'm going to get the supplies this winter to hand load, so 6 rounds at a time just won't work at the range next summer.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Re: Reducing recoil

Hand loading is a good place to start. A new high quality recoil pad will help as well. See where you land with that.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sims Limbsaver pad or Rem. has a R3 pad that is good also. The muzzle brake is very good but also very loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:09 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Kick ease or limbsaver pad would be a first choice Also a good rest I like Bench Master rest the best and once it is sighted in how many shots at one time do you need to take ?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:22 PM

I recently learned (and you can read link below from Hodgdon) that you can safely reduce their H4895 powder 60% from max load in any cartridge. Since you're going to load that might be a direction you want to start out in.

http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduc...le%20Loads.pdf

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Just curious, is there a reason that you don't want to just trade/sell that gun and just look for another in a different caliber?

Born to hunt, forced to work!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:49 PM
The Man

There are only so many ways you can reduce actual recoil.......

Increase gun weight
Decrease bullet weight
Decrease powder charge weight
Muzzle brake/compensator

The best place to start would be with a GOOD recoil pad to reduce FELT recoil. The Sims LimbSaver is top notch and can turn a true monsters (WAY beyond .35 Whelen class) into very shootable rifles.

If you reload......... Accurate Arms makes a powder called AA-5744. You may reduce your loadings to whatever you want. An Accurate Arms ballistician told me in a phone conversation that the minimum loading for AA-5744 is however many grains it takes to insure the bullet leaves the barrel EVERY time. So you could load your Whelen down to 1000 fps or less, I suppose, if you wanted.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno
Just curious, is there a reason that you don't want to just trade/sell that gun and just look for another in a different caliber?
Best advice yet...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Part of the Community

Get a lead sled for bench shooting. You'll never notice the kick in the woods.

Coon Hunt with Plotts
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Regular Visitor

I wouldn't recommend "clamp on" anything. You are on the right track.... handloads, but stay within book specks (noticeable but marginal gains), I do porting thats integral with the bore for $150 or some type of screw on break if that suits you better(the best way to reduce recoil), and or a mercury type reducer that goes in the butt stock(average $65-$100- works well but adds approx a pound of weight). I just ported and installed a merc reducer for a youth 30-30 and the kids dad purchased low recoil loads....WOW, like shooting an air gun!! Good luck

manharts gunsmithing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page