considering going to open site on 30/30 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

considering going to open site on 30/30

Well based upon hunting in the rain last week and even with scope caps on the lens exterior was fogged. this was on my .06. thinking of removing my 4X scope from 30/30 and putting a open or peep site perhaps on, making it more of a foul weather rifle. Looking for first hand knowledge of what people may be using. Doesn't have to be on a 30/30. Oh yeah a Marlin 336, side eject. I have researched on line but again first hand information is nice. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Re: considering going to open site on 30/30

Are the stock open sights still on the Marlin?

I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that I use with the stock sights, specifically for bad weather or when driving, or any other times that optics are more of a hinderance than help. The stockers are fine for me out to 100 yards, although I'm considering putting on a flip-up Lyman peep sight to help with accuracy beyond that.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 AM

You may also want to consider a ghost ring aperture sight system. It offers more accuracy potential than standard iron sights and quicker target acquisition than a standard peep sight.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 AM

I have a pair of 30-30's...A Glenfield Model 30A with a 4x scope and a Winchester Model 94 with a Williams Peep.

I decided to take the Glenfield for a walk on Saturday, and the rear scope lens kept fogging up. from now on, I'll be carrying that little peep-sighted Winchester in the rain.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Jimbear. no the stock sites are not on the rifle. But I believe I still have them
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 AM
The Man

Use the original front sight and get a peep.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use the ghost ring on my 45-70. You won't sight one in to shoot a clover pattern on paper but as far as being able to quickly attain target and hit within 3" group absolutely. Most of the deer I have shot with the rifle were under 100yds but the first one was about 150yds with the 45-70 I was impressed. Sure it took one to range them (I was way short saw where the bullet hit in the snow) but one of the doe walked back to see what fell into the snow and i knew where I needed to be and connected.

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM

My Pedersoli Sharps is my foul weather gun. It just has notch sights that are good out to 100yrds and since there are zero moving parts aside from the breach block it's a snap to clean.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 PM

I put a Williams peep on my Model 94 Trapper .30-30. It previously had a 4x scope on it and I much prefer the peep for this little carbine. Carries and handles much better.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Go for it! Here is my rain gun. It's a Remington 7600 in .35 Remington from the 2005 run from Grice's. I purchased it from a fellow on this site probably 4 years ago.

(Interesting side note: The information I found on Remington's web site said that the .35 Remington caliber was made in carbine form with 18 inch barrels, but this one has a 22 inch barrel. Try as I might, I couldn't find a gunsmith that was willing to cut it to 18 and replace the front sight for under $400 and that just put the total cost of the project out of reach, so it still has the stock barrel length.)

It's been through several iterations of sights, starting with a Williams rear and the stock front. I didn't like the fact that the Williams rear peep sight had no protection, so I replaced it with a front and rear set from XS sight systems.

AS it came from Remington, the black plastic stocks sucked, as the comb was way too high to get on the open sights. So I replaced it with an AR style collapsible stock. This is a great setup, as it will fit you perfectly whether your in a T-shirt or all bundled up for 5 below. The only change I had to make to this stock was to dremel out the area around the safety so it could be easily manipulated with leather gloves on.

I was all set to get it out this year in this form for the first time, but a rare illness sidelined me.

[img:left][/img]

And those sights work! Here is my 100 yard target. I should have taken a picture after my offhand shooting, as the offhand 3 went inside the three you see here. This thing shoots great with Hornady lever evolution ammo.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page