Humbled beyond words - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Humbled beyond words

This evening a very close friend of our family passed onto us several rifles from his collection.

I am humbled by this offer and would like to respect these gifts of a lifetime in the most proper way.

Let me preface this by saying that none of these rifles will ever be sold.

At this point in time I don't even believe that I could fire a round out of any of them.

Instead I want to learn more about these fine pieces of history. Monetary value means nothing to me.

The history of these guns means everything to me.

This man retired not once but twice from two separate branches of the United States Military as a high ranking officer in both branches.

<span style="font-weight: bold">1st Rifle - Springfield Model 03-3A. The bolt is still in the original wrapping and I was told that this is a WW II rifle that he purchased from the government</span>
[img:center][/img]

<span style="font-weight: bold">2nd Rifle - Mauser 6.5 mm x 55 made in Sweden</span>
[img:right][/img]

<span style="font-weight: bold">3rd Rifle - Winchester Model 64 Deluxe</span>

I am looking for your input on these three as well as a proper gun safe to store these in and any recommendations you may have as well.

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Humbled beyond words

Nice rifles!

I'd have to dig to see if the 03A3 is "original". Odds are against that, and it's likely been rearsenaled at least once, then was sold via the NRA or DCM (which is now called the CMP).

That 03A3 likely is a fantastic shooter.

The Swede....

Interesting little rifle. Not made in Sweden, as that's an Oberndorf receiver stamp, so made in Germany. I've never seen a Sweded 94 or 96 with such a receiver stamp, although the rifle fits the profile of a Swedish 94/96. Could be a 95? They were made in Oberndorf for the Spanish, I think....which would not likely make them 6.5x55. I know some Swedish rifles were made there, but they did not have such receiver stamps. Not sure what to make of it, but either way, the stock was shortened somewhat. The barrel might not have been shortened. It has the proper cavalry carbine rear sight, so it's entirely likely all that was done was chopping the stock. Should also be a pretty solid shooter.

Can't help you on the Win 64. I don't know diddly squat about them, other than it's a very nice looking rifle you have there!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

tdd,
Thank you for posting your information. I have begun to research the rifles but the internet has so many reference points and articles of opinions that you can easily get lost in all the available information.
With the information that you have provided I believe that I might attempt to contact the manufacturers with the specifics of each item and ask if they could help us research the history of each one.

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The 6.5 is or was a Swedish mauser model 94 or 94/14. Mauser made some for the Swedes before they were completely up & running making their own. The importer, ground the date stamp off & applied the Interarmco & model mark (they made up the model). The org stock disk was also replaced by the importer. Someone has already chopped the stock so its only value is a shooter.
The 03A3 & 64 look to be in org condition, nice guns, leave them alone & do not let anyone try to improve them by refinishing the stock or metal.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats!!!

The 1903A3's are usually fantastic shooters. I bought mine from the CMP several years ago, before all the madness started. It is a very, very accurate rifle. You'll love it. My rifle is in serial number 4,002,xxx which means it was manufactured in October, 1943. I have a book that lists the serial numbers & date of manufacture and will look up your number later and give you an idea when it was made.

Steve
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

If that 03A3 has a 2-groove barrel, don't let anyone tell you it's not a shooter. Mine has a 2-groover. With Greek HXP it shoots 1.5-2" at 100 and with handloads, I can sometimes wring MOA from it off the bench at 100.

The Swede will be a shooter, almost guaranteed, unless someone monkeyed with the muzzle/crown. The carbines often had false muzzles welded on to make them long enough to be legal.

I didn't know importers ground/restamped the rings on the Swedes, but that would make sense. That stock disk is a conjured up item, not a Swedish one. I forget if they put them on the carbines? I know they did on the 96's, 38's, 38/96's, etc, but they didn't look like the one pictured.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Very nice rifles. Congratulations. What make is the 03-a3? It would have been manufactured by either Remington or Smith-Corona. Springfield did not manufacture any themselves as they were concentrating on building M1 Garands at the time.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
The Man

Congrats, very nice collection!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

@ Papsattic - the stamp is Smith-Corona. Spending a lot of time researching and learning each of these.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 01:28 PM

That's a deluxe version of the Model 64, as it came with checkering and the rear sling swivel installed at the factory.

You should be able to find info online about the year your serial # was manufactured.

I found this interesting link, but at the end they want you to pay for an appraisal. However, it gives you a pictorial rundown on the different models:

Homestead appriasal service

I will say that unless these are unfired, which is very unlikely, take'em out and shoot'em. To me, that is honoring the gun. I love the personal stories behind guns and would ask for each guns story before this fellow passes away. Keep the stories alive when you pass them on.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page