Converting 222 to 223 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Converting 222 to 223

When I bought my cabin I inherited a sako riihimaki in .222 from the previous owner of the place. I thought it was a great score but I never really paid much attention. It just hung over the mantle where he left it. Over the summer I tried to shoot it and almost blew my face off. The guy drilled his own scope mounts and left holes behind the bolt and just in front of the action. Gas and unburied powder seap out. Of coarse he never warned me. I was thinking to save the riffle converting it to .223 since I would have to buy a new barrel anyway. Does anyone have any experience or know how to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 AM

Re: Converting 222 to 223

The holes can be plugged. Sounds like a ruined expensive Sako rifle. You need a gunsmith to look at it and answer your questions.

benchrest
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im not exactly sure where the holes are by your description. If "behind the bolt" is refering to somewhere on the rear bridge of the action, those holes should not cause any gas blowback. The holes "in front of the action" sound like they are drilled in the barrel. If those holes are drilled deep enough they could have entered the chamber/bore area and caused the leaking gases. Then a rebarrel would be needed.

A rebarrel would cost you around $200.00+ for the barrel. Then another $200.00+ for the gunsmith to chamber, cut threads, and crown. Reblueing would be $100.00+. Depending on what you want there could be some other costs. If you want to drill and tap for sights it would be around $25.00+ per hole. If the barrel has a non standard contour that you want matched it could cost another $100.00+.

One other thing you can check. Are you sure its a .222, could it be a .222 Mag? The way you describe the incedent, it sounds like a case failure.

Good luck, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM
The Man

No doubt Sako made .222 Magnums. Firing a regular .222 in a .222 mag would be a no-no.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM

I agree with stoolshooter. Take that gun to a good smith and have it checked out. I would have him cast the chamber and slug the bore to make sure the rifle is really a within-spec .222 and is safe to fire.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the help guys do you know a good gunsmith I can use. I hunt in Wayne county and live 15 min from philly, so someone in either area.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I forgot to ask, would you switch to .223?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPhilly
Thanks for the help guys do you know a good gunsmith I can use. I hunt in Wayne county and live 15 min from philly, so someone in either area.
Can't recommend anyone in either place but can tell you DO NOT use Hemlock Gunshop on 590 between Hamlin and Hawley

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Could be the guy knew the gun was bad.If I had camp I wouldn't leave a gun of value there if I wasn't nearby hunting or fishing.I probably wouldn't have a firearm of any value above a fireplace.Smoke,moisture and heat.Guns above mantles are for the most part a decoration from what I have seen.He probably left it there for that reason.By all means get it checked.The action should be worth a few bucks at least.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Would have been nice if he filled me in too. It looked solid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page