Me or the rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Me or the rifle

Have an issue that I am trying to figure out if it is me or am I missing something. I shoot a Rem 7600 30.06 with a Nikon Prostaff BDC on top. Last year the rifle was benched in at 100 yds and was on. I shot at a doe (175yrds open field twice and missed the first shot she never moved. Next day before going out shot it and it was still on. That night missed a doe at 100yds. put the rifle in the cabinet and used another next time out and got a doe one shot at 125..

This year I benched the rifle before bear season and tweaked it a hair but overall it was there. Checked it this weekend after Bear and it was still good. Last night clean missed a buck at 80 yards?? I have no confidence in the the package now. not sure if i am missing something or if it just me? When I bench it I take it right from the house to the deck and shoot. Does temperature play any part in it? I have never done really anything different. Any idease/suggestions/experiences...

Ralph O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Re: Me or the rifle

First off, have you shot it off "the bench". If all you do is put it on sand bags and shoot, it could be you if you aren't shooting from a rest in the field. I may use the bench to zero them in, but I at least take a few shots sitting or standing as I would be out in the field.

The temp of the gun could also be causing it. But, since it's a 7600 you don't have the normal problems with the stock.

Personally, if I have no confidence in a gun I get rid of it.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Are you sure you are missing? Way to many times people think they missed but actually hit the deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 PM
dce
Sage

The only way to get confidence is to shoot it like you do when hunting.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

All my shots were from resting from a shooting rail on different stands and last night I was the same whereas I was rested on the front ledge of the "hut" so not technically a bench but a rest. I hate to get rid of the gun but until I figure something out I will cary the 35rem

Ralph O.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Confidence is the key. The answer is off season practice. The short term is to use another gun to get your confidence up.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM

There are 100 things you could be doing differently between shooting off the bench and shooting in the field. The problem most likely isn't the gun but double check and make sure the scope mounts and rings are tight. I am guessing it may be your position, how you mount and or hold the gun, or cheek weld, trigger squeeze, plus excitement and lack of confidence in the gun that are contributing to your issues. Take another gun for the rest of the season and practice with the trouble gun in the off season in more realistic shooting situations to see what is up.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What type of rest are you using when you "benched" the gun? What part of the gun did your rest on the front rest? A sand bag on the forend will shoot to a different point of impact compared to the barrel resting on a wood tree stand support.

Good luck, Tony
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Part of the Community

Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice in every position you think you'll be hunting. If you plan on shooting from the bench and sand bags then take them to the tree. I agree with tony also .
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
What type of rest are you using when you "benched" the gun? What part of the gun did your rest on the front rest? A sand bag on the forend will shoot to a different point of impact compared to the barrel resting on a wood tree stand support.

Good luck, Tony
Tony, How does resting the foreend verses resting the barrel change the point of impact? Not being smart asking a question because I guess I always figured once it is sighted the crosshairs will be the point of impact depending on range and elevation?

I will not carry the rifle until I can troubleshoot it after season.

Ralph O.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page