375 ruger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

375 ruger

I've been looking at them and I've been curious as to how they perform. I know it's a pretty big gun but I would like to hear from people how well one shot and if they have ever used one on game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 375 ruger

Do yourself a huge favor and get a 375 H&H instead...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Elaborate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Well, you gotta have a need for that kind of power, planning a brown bear hunt, a trip to the dark continent??? The cost of bullets, powder and cases for the 375 ruger assure that's it's not for plinking. I wonder what will even be available in the future to load it...I'd stick with the H&H also, when it becomes in short supply the .375 ruger will be a distant memory for most.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:57 PM

The .375HH is a great whitetail round believe it or not. No meat damage, just a 3/8" hole in both sides and they fall over.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM

I have the ruger, I like the ruger alaskan rifle platform and from everything I read the 375 ruger isn't going away anytime soon. Mine is quite accurate. My only use for it would be on black bear unless I become 10-15 years younger and hit the lottery then it will go to alaska. I have not shot any game with it as I have it less than a year. I'm just a rifle fan, what's need got to do with it???. Life is too short for practicality where guns are concerned. Recoil? The ruger is a heavy gun, a lot depends on the weight and stock, recoil pad, etc. It is not a gun you want to shoot a bunch of rounds from the bench, nor is any other big bore. I shoot my other guns enough that when I get behind the 375 I can put 5 rounds where I want them, end of story. My take is if you can shoot a 12 gauge you can shoot a 375. The h&h I shot a few years back kicked more, but it was a lighter gun. I say go for the ruger!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the replies guys. You've been helpful, I think I'm gonna stick with my gut and save up for the ruger instead of the h&h. You can get a much more affordable gun in the ruger and I would be hand loading. So ammunition wouldn't be a headache for me.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 PM
The Man

If you are going to hanload, you MAY want to reconsider.

Any H&H is a simple re-ream away from a .375 Weatherby.........which puts you you in a WHOLE other realm. The neat thing is that you can shoot H&H ammo out of it at a slightly reduced velocity and when you work the bolt......... you have a Weatherby empty !!!

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 PM
The Man

P.S. I can hook you up with my smith who just happens to have a Weatherby reamer just waiting to go !!

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Regular Visitor

Have one. Like it a lot. It's the Ruger Alaskan platform. Have killed hogs(Georgia) Cape Buffalo, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Duiker and Gemsbok (not in Georgia) Don't handload, but shot the Hornady 270gr. or the Hornady 300 gr. DGX for all above. Rifle shoots well, carries easy and performs well. Buffalo shot at 20 yards, went 20 yards and died. Insurance shot applied. Did not have excessive tissue damage on 40 lb. Duiker, but I didn't need the insurance shot on that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page