Which rifle will retain value better? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Which rifle will retain value better?

I'm getting a 260Rem.........I'm either going to build one with a Rem 700 trued action, Bartlein barrel, Rem trigger and a Bell and Carlson or H-S stock or I'm just going to buy a Cooper rifle. The Cooper would be the synthetic stock version that I can get for around $1900.
Which one of these rifles would hold their value better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Re: Which rifle will retain value better?

Cooper. You'll never get full value out of a custom built on a 700. That said I'd still build on a Remington. Not a cooper fan.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM
The Man

Hmmmmm, tough call. Probably the remmy. I have alot of custom built rifles and have way more in them then I could sell them for. Build it how you like it and keep forever.

I have a 700 short action 243 I built as an extra target rifle. Custom stock, 40x trigger. Tried moving it (had multiple backouts) as I dont use it. If I drop it in a cheap fiberglass camo stock with the orig rem trigger I could sell it right away.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:16 PM
The Man

guess I'm not thrilled with cooper either. Had a target 22 that I wasnt happy with. Didnt shoot very well and had an extractor issue when new. My Anschutz guns blew it away.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 PM

A Savage with a user changable barrel and Boyds stock that more folks can afford if and when you sell.High money guns are cool but those that can afford them would have one built for them.Out of the 2 options I would go 700.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Cooper will hold its value better. As said, you will never recoup your money with a trued rebarreled Remington.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 PM

I have a Rem 700 6 Dasher built for benchrest competition by a well known York Co. gunsmith. It has all the bells and whistles you can think of. Blueprinted, Holland recoil lug & custom bolt,FP bushed, Jewel trigger, pillars, special 3" stock paint job, tuner on bbl, and lots more. I think I have about $2,700 in the rifle.

A dealer friend recently told me I could probably get $500 or $600 for it!!

On the other hand, I last year, sold my entire collection of 36 older Sako rifles, many NIB. I cannot believe how rapidly the asking prices for similar Sakos have now escalated. Cheap guns do not return much profit.

benchrest
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The decision has been made! Went to the local Cooper store yesterday and they wanted $1600 plus a Ruger mini-14 in trade for a Cooper Phoenix in 260 calibre. Donít think thatís too bad but I wanted to think about it a bit. So last evening Iím surfing the web and came across a post on another site where a guy is talking about the great deal on guns at Walmart this weekend. 20% off the current sale price. That brings the cost of a Rem700ADL down to $301!
At that price I figured I could build one a lot cheaper than buying the Cooper outright. It wouldnít hold its value as well as the Cooper but for the price Iíd pay, itíd still be an excellent value.
So the quest began to find a Walmart that still had a 700SA with a 308 bolt face. Took four stores before I found one in Mill Hall Pa.
Left home early this morning and after an hourís drive, I walked out of Wally World with a brand new Rem700 .243 under my arm.
Iíll retain the original trigger, add a 6.5 Bartlein barrel to it and a B&C or H-S stock. I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical scope to put on it and Iíll probably add DBM bottom metal at some point.
From an investment standpoint, twenty years from now the Cooper would be worth more money but first, I donít know that Iím going to live twenty more years and second, Iíll spend less money by building it myself AND have exactly what I want.
SoÖ..anyone want to buy a brand new, never fired Rem700 .243 barrel or an unused Mod700 stock??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Regular Visitor

I bought a Cooper this year and love the gun. I imagine that it will retain it's value rather well but I don't think I will ever sell it. That said my next step is to do what you are doing with a 700 action, just in .280. Look forward to hearing how your build goes!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Right now I can tell you that the build is going slooooow. The gunsmith called me this afternoon and told me that Bartlein has a five to six month wait time on the barrel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page