Remington 141 .35 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Remington 141 .35

You know, the one with a spiral magazine and steel buttplate? I'm planning on using one this season. It was my Paps rifle. When I was younger, sighting in meant going to the local strip mine and shooting off the car hood at a box with about 3-4" circle on it about 40yds. If it was close, then it was "on". I killed a 1/2 dozen or so deer with it all at close ranges. As I got older, I bought other rifles of my own, and learned more about shooting and accuracy. Paps old .35 went in the back of the closet. I decided I wanted to carry it this season. New scope and mounts, everything is in working order and all screws are tight. Problem is that I can't seem to get it to do any better than a 6" group at 100yds. Tried a couple different bullets and brands, but nothing seems to do any better than anything else. Is this the best I can expect? I'll still carry it, but I'll obviously only take closer shots. Ideas or opinions?

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington 141 .35

Many of the older guns were not thoroughly cleaned but simply wiped out and wiped down. The barrels built up a lot of copper and residue that filled the grooves over time.
Maybe your Pap was more thorough and maybe you have scrubbed it since you have owned it, but if not an extended barrel cleaning session would be the first place to start.
Run a few patches down the bore with your favorite solvent, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub it out with a bronze bore brush..being careful to not scrape the crown of the muzzle. A coated cleaning rod is best. Run a clean patch down and see how much residue comes out. Repeat until the patches come out clean.
I have seen a few older rifles that were "shot out" come back to life after a good cleaning.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

If I get a buck early in the week, I will be taking out my 141 in .32 Remington for a doe later in the season. I can get 1" groups at 50yds with it using old factory ammo. That is with a peep sight. No way I will be putting any sort of scope on it! I have not shot it enough to have enough brass for reloading. I hate to shoot it too much because ammo is around $3 per shot!

I haven't shot mine at 100 yards because where I hunt 100 yds is a far shot. Also if I did have a hole to shoot 100 yds I don't know how the peep would be with all the brush. The 14's,141's,760's and 7600's were all made for close range gunning.

My main deer rifle is actually a 760 in .35 Rem. At 100 yds it will throw a 1 1/2 inch pattern with Remington 150gr or 200 gr Corelokts. It is quite the gun paired with a Leupold Vx-II 2-7!

The only other thing I would suggest you try if you haven't would be 150 gr ammo. My 760 shoots it well. They are PSP's which may help the ballistics a bit at 100 yds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:50 PM

My Mod14 in 35 will hold 2.5-3" groups at 100 with iron sights.

I'd have to agree with MF. Clean it and try again. But also try to find(if you can) some different ammo and try that too.

I never thought, nor witnessed, what different brands of ammo would do until this summer. I had all sorts of problems with my 35 Wheelen, and then saw the same thing with this 35rem. I ended up sighting it in with my reloads then shot Rem, Hornady and Win rounds through it. The Rem and Win grouped fine, but the Rem were 5" low and the Win were 3" high and to the left. The Hornady were horrid, they wouldn't group any tighter than what you had and the groups were centered right of POA. Ended up emptying them for the brass. Speaking of which, I need to go downstairs and pull the brass out of the tumbler so I can load a few.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

gotta scope on my 14 in 35 it will shoot 1" 3 shot groups. my 14 in 30 Remington will do @4" with factory buckhorns.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

gotta scope on my 14 in 35 it will shoot 1" 3 shot groups. my 14 in 30 Remington will do @4" with factory buckhorns.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 AM

my first thoughts were spot on with mfuffs...

many guys still just run an oiled brush and/or patches through a bore...or if solvent its Hoppes which is nearly useless for copper and heavy fouling IMO..

i personally love Sharp Shootr "wipe out" foaming bore cleaner..

heavily fouled bores might take a full day or 2 of soaking...but it will get it all..and there is no "work" involved with brushing and patching..a few patches and your done...i love it in the pumps especially because there is no way to safely run a rod through it without risking damage to the crown..

if not cleaned i would start there...

after that...i dont know...thats not really good grouping..check the crown damage....check the bore for pitting etc..even still 6" groups are pretty bad IMO..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

whats it do at 50 yards? maybe its your trigger control. those 141's are pretty stiff. start at 25 and work your way up

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

It's pretty shifty at 50yds too. Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna get some bore cleaner and give it a good scrubbing and see what that does.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 7600 in 35rem carbine and you would not believe how tight this thing shoots at 100yrd's. Im shooting 200gr hornady ftx with tac powder. Also with that 18 inch barrel I get 2130fps. The barrel on this carbine is heavier than the standard barrels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page