Tasco Scopes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Tasco Scopes

I have a tasco scope on a few of my guns seems like I always have to re-sight each gun in every year. I know there not being bumped or dropped, maybe the redicles inside the scopes are junk? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Re: Tasco Scopes

Tasco's are junk as a whole. If you can't afford a Leupold try a Nikon or Bushnell.

"DON'T 'PHILLY' POTTER COUNTY" !!!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will admit that I don't know what the quality of today's Tasco scope are. The couple I own back in the 60's and 70's were all junk.
I have since gone to all Leupolds, they will take a lot of hard hunting before showing any signs of any problems. Most of the time once mounted they will need no adjustment unless you change ammo.
With that said I will also admit that I sent two back to the factory this year. One was 25 years old, that I took a hard fall with that would no longer hold point of aim. The fall I took was like slamming the scope on frozen ground.
The other is off my son's rife which is 10+ years old that also has taken some bad falls over the years.
Mine has come back, fully fixed, works great again. The cost was shipping to Leupold. His I just sent in on Friday.
I know the cost is a factor to a lot of hunters, myself included, but the new Leupolds VXI & Redfields, Made by Leupold, are in most hunters price range. Another trick is buy a used Leupold, off ebay or anywhere. If there is something wrong with it, send it back to Leupold and, they will fix it free of charge. You don't need to have been the original owner or need any kind of a receipt. Made or assembled right here in the USA too. It doesn't get any better than that in today's world.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
The Man

I know lots of guys that have Tasco scopes. Most of them never had any issues at all. I had one once, and it was a relatively decent scope. My problem was if it were cold out, and you got your hand even close to it it would fog up.

If it were me I would spend the $125 for a Bushnell Trophy. Great scope for the money. Anything better will cost close to twice as much. If nothing more than piece of mind. Nothing worse than haveing doubt in your equipment.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Sage

Generally speaking, Tascos are about at the bottom of the heap. I would put Barskas and most BSAs down there with them.

On the other hand, I have older Tascos, some of which were made in Japan, that have held up well for over 25 years. Some are newer ones made in China or the Phillipines and also still work fine.

With optics, one usually gets whatcha pay for, although I've never seen much point in getting carried away? If it trips your trigger to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a scope, go for it. There are plenty around today to choose from, that cost in the neighborhood of $200-300 and will perform up to par for most hunters' needs.

Something in a blister pack at Walmart, costing less than $100, should likely stay there in the blisterpack? Although there are folks that are happy with such things.

Everyone has opinions on scope brands, but mine have worked well for me over the past 30 years. Never owned a scoped deer rifle until 1978 and that one still has the same cheapo 4x12x40AO Bushnell Banner on it. And it still does sub-moa groups, too.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Alot of Rifles are like that the point of aim will change sometimes after sitting all year..That is why it is always good to shoot the rifles you will be hunting with a couple times before the season opens.I had a rifle this year I dropped last year with a Leupold rifleman scope on it and it shot 2 feet to the right.I forgot about dropping it last year and now I will send it back to the factory and placed a temporary bushnell banner on the rifle. Sometimes the scope impact changes from year to year and sometimes its the rifle problem.There are alot of variables involved that is why to shoot before taking it hunting.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM
The Man

you get what you pay for is all im gonna say, if you only pay 100$ for a scope there is a reason you only payed 100$ for it.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
The Man

If you have wood-stocked rifles the culprit could well be swelling then contracting of the wood which cause POI shifts....glass bedding stops that....

The above, along with a cheap scope whose adjustments shift, is a recipe for disappointment...

IMO, yes, the scope could very well be the biggest culprit..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator

I will say the ones i still have continue to work well!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Generally speaking, Tascos are about at the bottom of the heap. I would put Barskas and most BSAs down there with them.

On the other hand, I have older Tascos, some of which were made in Japan, that have held up well for over 25 years. Some are newer ones made in China or the Philippines and also still work fine.

With optics, one usually gets whatcha pay for, although I've never seen much point in getting carried away? If it trips your trigger to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a scope, go for it. There are plenty around today to choose from, that cost in the neighborhood of $200-300 and will perform up to par for most hunters' needs.

Something in a blister pack at Walmart, costing less than $100, should likely stay there in the blister pack? Although there are folks that are happy with such things.

Everyone has opinions on scope brands, but mine have worked well for me over the past 30 years. Never owned a scoped deer rifle until 1978 and that one still has the same cheapo 4x12x40AO Bushnell Banner on it. And it still does sub-moa groups, too.
I rate this post positively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page