Gun finishes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Gun finishes?

I have always had traditional blued steel guns in the past. I've been lookin into a new shotgun, and found a remington express I really like. It fits my needs for a shotgun to a T.

Anyway I have a concern over the finish. Is the matt finish on todays firearms durable? I mean if I get a good character mark can I tough it up if need be?

The rough texture to me seems like it could hold moisture, and cause rust.

With traditional blued steel if a bit of rust creeps up you can usually get rid of it with steel wool. What could be done with a matte finish?

Any input on the "other" finishes would be appriciated. I'm no expert, but some matte finishes seem like a add on over the steel barrel.

I'm not worried it will get some marks. To me a shotgun without some marks tells me as much as seeing a pickup truck without any marks. I'm more concerned that if I do get some marks it will shorten the life of the gun.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 AM

Re: Gun finishes?

matte does seem to rust a bit...but, its almost un-noticable..

i just notice that when i run a clean white patch with oil on it, it comes off a rust color sometimes...

but, in the same sense, matte finishes kinda "hold" oil..

just make sure you dry it good and oil it good after a rainy day...alot of guys fail to let their weapons dry prior to oiling...i wipe them down with a dry towel and then let them air dry..then oil them good..

it takes a heavy blow to scratch matte..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Sage

I have never had a problem with a blued gun. I don't like the mat or parkerized fnishes. When the PGC got their 870 police style shotgund they came with a parkerized finish. There was a serious problem with rust that I have never seen that kind of rusting with a blued finish even on guns used on salt water. Moisture just seemed to collect in the nooks and cranies on those guns.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That's my concern John. With my style of hunting I really don't want a wingmaster. Too nice of a finish. While I don't abuse my guns, I don't go out of my why to not mark up the finish either.

Where my guns are stored it stays very dry. I have never had a problem with rust. I don't want to have to remember to take it out once a month to oil it to keep it from rusting.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page