Olin leaving Illinois - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Olin leaving Illinois

Olin is closing its Winchester centerfire ammo operation in East Alton, IL and moving to Oxford, Mississippi, after union workers rejected another concessions package.

Olin had already moved their rimfire ammo manufacturing to Oxford, in 2006.

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/ope...ast-alton.html

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
The Man

Re: Olin leaving Illinois

Without insulting those on here that are union workers I will only say it was bound to happen.

With todays global market place and economy there has to be some concessions made. I'm surprised they didn't move things across the pond.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Without insulting those on here that are union workers I will only say it was bound to happen.

With todays global market place and economy there has to be some concessions made. I'm surprised they didn't move things across the pond.

Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Manufacturing and transportation unions are primarily a thing of the past, although many still exist, but now with far different memberships than years ago.

The single largest component group of unions in this country, are now comprised of public employees.

For example, our twp. employees that work on our roads and run our municipal sewer system, belong to the Teamsters.

That these unions are primarily comprised of left-leaning leaderships and memberships (to some extent), is also no surprise. At least to me?

When someone lives on public funding, they will always be in favor of more public funding.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used to look at unions as insurance for your job. Now it seems more of a liability and yes they definitely lean to the left in politics.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

SEIU - What is the purpose??

Its a shame that those people are going to lose their jobs, but at least there will be some new jobs down south.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

People have a tendency to blame the unions for everything. And I think that is bad. The problem is the corruption at the top of the union. Not the guy going to work everyday.

Have the unions become too strong. Probably yes. But are they necessarily a bad thing, I do not think so.

I come from a family of alot of coal miners in WV. And I can promise you that alot of my family members are alive today because of the union. And only the union, nothing else. So for me to call a union bad is extremely difficult.

IMO the entire system is to blame. Not only the union. After all how many of you here would turn down a pay raise, or triple time on their birthday. Or any other extra they could get?? Not very many!!

Unions are at their lowest point in the cycle right now. I don't know if they can come back or not, but we will see.

A private company is going to try and make as much money as they possibly can. That is the bottom line. Either an employee should be able to get a certain part of that money or not??

We all complain about the auto workers making too much. But who complains about a baseball player getting a $100 million dollar contract. Or an actor making $20 million to make one movie?? No we do not complain about that. We keep watching the football or basketball game, and we keep paying ridiculous prices for cable because of these salaries.

Yet we are quick to jump on the band wagon because a union person makes too much?? Why??

I guess when it comes to being riped off. I am much less worried about a miner making triple time on his birthday. I am more worried about a bank CEO making a $100 million dollar golden parachute for getting fired and leading the bank into bankruptcy, or a government bail out. A miner would have to work alot of birthday's for that kind of money!! Tom.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Yep, there are extremes of all sorts to be considered. At one time unions were a great thing, because they got better pay and better working conditions for many Americans.

Then over time, as unions gained strength, numbers and large bankrolls, some union leaders began to think of themselves just like the industrial barons did: What's in this for me?

I once belonged to a union, don't miss it. Other than collecting dues and making noises, it did essentially nothing else, other than squander my dues money on Democrat political campaigns.

Olin isn't the first firearms/ammo manufacturer to leave for better economic climates. Trying to make a profit while dealing with unions, old plants and state regs, has driven most of the firearms industry from the northern parts of our nation.

Back in the late 60s, got into some haggles with several relatives that were truck drivers and Teamsters members, because I (along with the Justice Dept.) questioned the fitness of Jimmy Hoffa to lead their union.

Almost to a man, their attitude was that they didn't care how much money he made, how corrupt he was, or anything else about what he did, as long as they got their free eye care, medical benefits and good paychecks.

They also seemed to enjoy Hoffa's ability to influence politicians and make trucking companies toe the line. That last attitude cost four of them their jobs, when their employer wanted wage/benefit package concessions after deregulation came in. Teamsters officials approved a vote for making the concessions, but their local voted against making any concessions.

The company owner closed the doors, sold everything and retired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page