Do you use a scope on your 30-30? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Do you use a scope on your 30-30?

I recently got a 30-06 that I want to put some nice glass on (any suggestions?) and I was wondering what I should do with my 30-30. Right now it has this old scope on it that I was considering replacing. I like scopes on my rifle because it helps me make out the deer better and take better shots. Now I'm kind of considering taking the scope off of it and just use the iron sights. I will have to go to the range and see how I do with just the irons but knowing me I'll probably put another scope on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Do you use a scope on your 30-30?

I am an absolute 30-30 fan, I love my marlin 336 it is my go to gun, and even though I have several other rifles it is my go to for anything. if the world was ending tomorrow I would want my 1911 and my 30-30 by my side.

to answer your question is your 30-30 a lever gun or a bolt?
I am guessing lever, if it is a bolt then scope it.
if it is a lever I can see where the question comes in.

when I purchased mine it had a fixed 4 power scope on it, and I was reasonably accurate, about 3-3.5 moa. with a 3-9x40 on it I am just 1-1.5 if I am having a good day. I also put a cheaper scope on the gun knowing that I carry it in tractors and through brush etc.

I love my high see through rings and simmons scope on this gun makes it a very good all around setup, and don't let anyone tell you that you aren't shooting far with a 30-30 I can hit groundhogs at 150 yards with this gun and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer out to 175.

depending on your eyes you may want to look at the fixed four power... they are cheap and you don't feel guilty banging them up a little.

the 2-7 power is adequate if you feel the need to cover brush and feilds or want a more all around setup

I opted for 3-9 because of price, varmint shooting and availability.

there is a reson these rifles are over 100 years old and still one of the most popular deer cartridges in the state.

It is the shallowest water that makes the most noise.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

I dropped my scoped '06's and .270's back in '95 in favor of an iron sighted .30-30. I used it almost exclusively for a decade and killed a lot of game doing it. I got that out of my system now and have been back to my .30-06's and .270's for the past five years. If I ever take the 30-30 afield again it will be with open sights. I just don't feel a lever gun looks or carries well with a scope. And I made kills out to 200 yards with the iron sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

As far as the glass for the .30-06 check out the new Redfield Revolutions. A Leupold scope at a much better price.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Eyes are too bad for iron in poor light so I put a Red dot on my 30-30. Otherwise, I'd go for a quality low power/large FOV fixed, maybe 2.5X or even 4X.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Part of the Community

After getting off a poor shot last year on a doe and never finding her, I contemplated this same question all summer. The reason for the poor shot was I didn't pick her up in the scope fast enough. I thought so at the time but looking back on it I would have probably done better with the open sights. So, this year my scope has been removed. The only thing I'm afraid of is not being able to pick up the amount of points on a buck.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

When you hunt with open sights you then have to carry bino's to count points. There is no cranking it up on 9X to see if the buck is legal.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

I just picked up a Model 70 in .30-06 this summer with a 3x9-40 on it so I took the scope off my Model 94 and am installing a Williams peep on it. Haven't shot with the peep yet, but now I have two very different rifles to choose from based on the terrain and situation. The .30-30 is a Trapper with a 16 inch barrel so it will be awesome to carry and quick handling especially now without the scope. It's all personal preference though.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Scope. Improves accuracy and lets you Know 'legal' with todays A/R.

Personally, I never understood "quick handling" or "quick shooting" for deer hunting. Shot should be deliberate, not raced. Bunnies, Lion, cape Buffalo....maybe some quick handling there.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Agree with Harrysigafoo,
A rushed shot is a missed shot or a poor hit most of the time!! Never did like see thru mounts,puts scope too high over the bore. Learn to shoot keping both eyes open the scope assisted eye will take over. Takes PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE.
Smage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page