Installing Williams Peep Sight - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Installing Williams Peep Sight

I'm installing a Williams FP peep sight on my Winchester Model 94 AE Trapper. Question is what's the best way to get the front and rear sights off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Installing Williams Peep Sight

If you do not have a front sight removal tool then use a brass punch. If you do not have a brass punch then use a heavy cloth over a steel punch. Give it one good firm tap. That should move it a good bit. If not then get a front sight removal tool, or have it done by a person who has one(if you want to keep the front sight).

Any punch will remove the rear sight, but always cover the tip with a heavy cloth to avoid scratching. It is best to have help. And have someone hold the punch in the proper position so that you only hit the exact spot you want to drift off the barrel. Make sure to first take the elevator out of the back sight so as not to scratch the barrel with it. It is also good to hold the opposite end on the sight "UP" slightly off the barrel to avoid scratching also. You can use a screwdriver for that, just pry it up slightly and let the sight slide along the screwdriver while it is being drifted out of the slot.

Also set your punches on the left side of the rifle, and drift the sight out from left to right. Tom.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Will the elevator just pop out? And when I put the new front sight in does it go in from the left side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

OUT-left to right
IN-right to left---someone will come along and verify that. Some say it does not matter. But I always do it the same way.

When removing the elevator use a screwdriver and a cloth over the screwdriver. Slightly lift up on the end(other end from barrel dovetail) of the sight to take the pressure off the elevator. Then just remove the elevator from underneath. It should come right out. But will only come out from the bottom because the one side is slightly larger. Tom.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Alright thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'd like not to ruin the front site though so I might just leave it in for now.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Sage

On any of my lever rifles with "buckhorn" rear sight and elevator tab, I can pull the sight up with my fingers and remove the tab.

I can never remember which direction to drift the dovetail sight bases out, but I generally tap them to the right to remove, blocking the rifle well so it doesn't hop around.

The one Marlin I still have with a Williams receiver sight, still has the original rear sight on it. All I did was remove the tab and the original rear sight is below the line of sight for the "peep".

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

I also always pop mine out from left to right and install from right to left. Hogghead had some good points, I might also add to put a couple drops of oil on the sight before you tap it out. Seems to work for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give it a try today.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If the front sight is in a ramp, you must support the ramp as you tap the dovetail out. Most modern ramps are on with screws. they will shear if the ramp is not supported, and only the barrel is supported. Out-left to right.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Everything went good except for the fiber optic sight that came with the peep is too long. The barrel band near the muzzle prevents it from going in. No big deal though, I can use the original. Can't wait to get it sighted in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page