managed recoil rounds? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

managed recoil rounds?

are these rounds ok for deer hunting/ i bought my son a ruger compact 260 and want him to be able to shoot it so i ordered some managed recoil rounds. i got the remington corelokt 140's. how do you think they will perform? thanks.

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: managed recoil rounds?

I've used managed recoil ammo in 30-30, 308 and 270 with kids. All have killed deer with them. I hunt a 260, but havn't used managed recoil rounds in it. But I believe you will have no problem. It doesn't take much to kill a whitetail deer. Probably the easiest big game animal to kill. As with all hunting you don't need magnums to kill. But you do need bullet placement to kill. Managed resoil rounds are the key to accuracy and proper bullet placement.

On that subject. Get a outdoor magazine and have your child take a felt tip pen and draw the crosshair on every deer in the magazine as to where he would hold. Assume the deer is always stopped. If he would pass a shot have him put a "P" on the pic.
then review it with him, and analyse every shot. I'm amazed at how many new hunter thing you should shoot for "the mass" of the deer (aka gut shot).

lots of good color charts showing kill zones and organs
http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/pa/cours...ment.htm#chest
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

I'm surprised the MR for the .260 has a 140 grain bullet. The MR for the .270 only has a 115 and the .30-06 only a 125.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

I agree with Harrysigafoo on his teaching method. I did that with my son as well. One thing to add - stress the three dimensional aspect of real life with the angles of the shots presented in the picture. I've seen lots of kids who, when told to shoot the shoulder, then do so at ridiculous angles. Also incorporate one of those pictures that shows where the vitals are.

That being said, with managed recoil ammo (especially the 30-30) one should only take broadside heart/lung shots. They will not drive through on angle shots.

Case in Point. My son and I were in a double tree stand that had two stands on either side of the tree (like a T) last year first day. He had a 30-30 with the managed recoil ammo. I had only my S&W 696. A buck comes in around 10am, it should have been an easy oncoming angle shot. At the shot, the buck did one of those bucking bronco jumps, which to me indicated a hit of some sort. But he peeled away and started trotting angling away through the woods, my side of the stand. My son was just watching as he could not swing the gun toward me. I kept expecting the buck to falter and show some sign of the hit but he never did. Thinking for sure we had a very wounded buck, I told my son "give me that gun", swung up and took a flash shot, through a very small opening, at his chest as he was now running at a very oblique angle away from us. It was probably close to 100 yards away in the woods but that gun swings up for me like it's part of me and I felt good about the shot. Right about then it starts to rain. I looked for over a half an hour for any sign of of hit as the rain picked up. NOTHING. I did manage to find where my son might have hit a sticker bush branch with his shot.

Around 2pm, after we all had lunch, my son and I were in another stand when I get a phone call from my buddy saying that he was standing over a dead 5 point that was still warm. I headed right over. Looked just like the basket 5 from the morning. Upon inspection, I find one bullet wound in his for-leg, the deadly wound in his left buttock. Didn't lead him, couldn't as the shot path was that tiny. Gutting him showed that the 125 grain managed recoil bullet didn't get past his intestines! My normal 170 grain core-lokts would have gone up into the lung from the rear!

Was it a bad shot to take - yes - but I really thought that he was wounded.

So, pick your shots carefully!

I tagged him. My son and I then re-zeroed the 30-30 for that new lever evolution ammo and he planted a doe from that stand a week later.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page