223 subsonic - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

223 subsonic

so i finaly got my rifle all put together its a rem 700 sps tac 1in9 twist with a yhm suppresor and wanted to reload some subsonic rounds for it i know you can buy them but im not paying 70 bucks for a box of 20 so i wanted to try and work up a load i might not be able to get true subsonic out of it but i do want to quiet it down a little but still be able to knock down fur at 200yds just wondering if anybody has any reloads or info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 223 subsonic

Some time ago for some strange reason I saved this link, don't remember why, but it might be right up your alley. Subsonic 223 loads

Bill
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some info on loading SS rounds.

http://www.ramshot.com/faq/

Introduction:
The practice of down loading rifle calibers to subsonic velocity levels must be approached in a special way.

THE FUNDAMENTALS ARE:

At subsonic velocities the chamber pressure is extremely low in most rifle calibers.
This means the combustion efficiency is not good.
It means that case obturation is bad.
Therefore faster more efficient burning powders are required.
This leads to low loading densities, which might cause ignition problems.
Because the requirement is to have subsonic velocities while maintaining the best possible combustion efficiency, the velocity should be kept as close as possible to the sonic threshold for the specific conditions, preferably between 1025 Fps to 1100 Fps.
Projectiles with sharp pointed ogive’s do not make good subsonic projectiles because
External and Terminal ballistics at subsonic velocities does not exploit the design features of high BC jacketed SP or HP-BT bullets. Therefore, it is actually a waste /moot point shooting with these designs at subsonic velocities.
Subsonic loads using standard components will not cycle high power, semi auto rifles.
Warning: — Since fast burning powders are used, it results in very low loading densities; Therefore the possibility of double charging is very high!! —— Please take extra precautions to prevent this from occurring.

WHAT TO DO?

Use only powders with good ignition characteristics.
Use any well-known Cast Bullet Publication, such as Lyman®, Speer® etc as a guide with the above equivalent powders. Begin at the recommended minimum/Start loads and incrementally load lower towards the subsonic range, of between 1025 and 1100 Fps.
In most cases extremely fast burning Handgun/Shotgun powders are the better options. However, there are exceptions involving slower burning powders with excellent ignition characteristics such as our Accurate 5744®
To ensure the best highest possible loading density, select the bulkiest powder with the lowest bulk density (weight/Volume).
Extruded flake, or -tubular or -multi perforated powders, are usually the recommended types, however there are some exceptions utilizing special spherical/Ball® powders.
Neck-sizing the cases to ensure proper obturation
Adding Fillers to keep the powder on the primer side of the case (Dacron® or Pufflon® – see below).
The loading is done inversely to the standard practice with normal loads and is best executed by loading from a higher Velocity usually in the 1300-1400 fps range towards the lower level.
Confirm statistically, with proper number of rounds per iteration (min 10 rounds) by measuring the velocity with a chronograph and verify standard deviations and extreme spreads to make absolutely sure that no supersonic “flyers” occur.
Make sure that projectile has left the barrel when a blackened/sooted case is extracted.
Also be aware when extremely low velocities are recorded < 900 Fps. This is indicative of extremely low pressures which, is an early warning sign that bad ignition "squib" loads = stuck bullet maybe eminent.
Use projectiles with the shortest ogive possible, preferably Round nose projectiles. This will ensure better stability due to a more centered COM (center of mass)
Use the heavier projectiles for a particular calibre. The higher inertia ensures better ignition and combustion.

The USE of FILLERS:

Whenever inconsistent velocities are detected, it is recommended that a proper filler material be used to keep the powder at the primer end of the case.
The following filler materials are recommended:
PUFFLON®, which is a dedicated speciality filler product. www.pufflon.com
DACRON®. This product comes in various forms, and the “fluffy” version must be used. This must be lightly stuffed and not tightly compressed; the purpose is to merely keep the powder at the bottom of the case against the primer.

Powders recommended for subsonic loading from our own product lines:

ACCURATE® POWDERS:

Accurate SOLO 1000®, Single base Extruded Flake
Accurate Nitro100® New Formulation. Double base Spherical/Ball®
Accurate no2®, Double base Spherical/Ball®.
*Accurate A-5744®, Double base extruded tubular.

*Caution: This powder will leave some un-burnt powder granules behind, which can cause irritation when “flush-back” occurs into chambers and mechanisms of guns.

RAMSHOT® POWDERS:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thanks guys currently i have just been running factory 55gr remmington out of it and is quit a bit quieter about a lowd pellet gun but whats the use of having a silenser and shooting supersonic rounds i might not hunt with the subsonics ill hav e to see how they shoot
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

It might seem strange but reduced loads CAN lead to high pressure situations. I tried reduced loads in my .243. Used a small charge of fast burning powder held against the primer with a tuft of kapok and a 90 grain bullet. Ended up setting the bolt back so that I was getting misfires. Had to have the bolt replaced.
The only way I'd try loading down that far now would be if I could find a load usind VERY bulky powder like Trail boss.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM

Look up james calhoon gopher loads.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hodgdon has data for 223 using Trail Boss that gets you in the subsonic velocity range. I have used Trail Boss in a 222 with good results, I was loading for higher velocity then 1100fps though.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

IMO getting 200 yards with a starting velocity around 1100fps is pushing it.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

wildbill thats a great read ill have to print that out and keep it with me but my wife is gunna be upset when i tell her i need to buy a chronograph haha
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
Hodgdon has data for 223 using Trail Boss that gets you in the subsonic velocity range. I have used Trail Boss in a 222 with good results, I was loading for higher velocity then 1100fps though.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

IMO getting 200 yards with a starting velocity around 1100fps is pushing it.

Good luck, Tony
I agree with Tony.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

tony300 and basdjs thats is were i am stuck i would like to hunt with them but something thats bairley breaking 1000fps is stretching it at 200yds id like to find an in between load it might not be subsonic but something a litle quieter then factory guess there will be allot of time spent at the reloading bench and at the range soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page