Hornady Ammo and horrible customer service - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Hornady Ammo and horrible customer service

Always thought Hornady was a top notch company, I've changed my mind. They suck. Sent them this email last week:

"Hello, I bought five boxes of 30grain vmax 22mag rounds. I started having issues where the shell was impacted, but didn't go off. I assumed it was my gun and kept on going. Hit box two and same thing, half the box not going off. Went coon hunting last night and had 7 out of 9 shells misfire. Took the gun in for repair and while there bought a new 22mag since our fox season started yesterday and I needed to have one. Got home and just started shooting from box 3, same thing. Box 4, same thing. Half go off, half don't, but they are surely impacted. If you reply, I can send you pics of some of the duds, which go off after a second impact, along with pics of the actual case with inked numbers on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm now sitting on $100 of questionable ammo and a $300 gun that I can't return and didn't need. I have always used hornady ammo in my 22mag but to continue my season I ran out and grabbed CCI, all of which fired 50/50 during my target session an hour ago, so the new gun surely isn't the issue here either"

Of course, I get the stock reply of "call us". So I did and I am shocked and disgusted with the response which was "well send us all the ones you have left and we will replace those". I asked about the other 3.5boxes of which are not in my possession and I was told "should have kept them". I told the guy he can come to my house and try to find all the duds which were ejected, along with going out to my coon hunting spots and finding those as well. Kinda hard to pickup dud rounds that you eject into the darkness. Along with that he chose to ignore the fact that I re-chambered the already impacted rounds and then they went off the second time. Anyway, they are choosing to do nothing except replace the 1.5boxes, to which I declined and told them I will instead push other ammo in our shop, online and to all my circles of friends.
What happened to customer service? All these were the same lot number and they can't tell me others arent having the same problems. So if you have Hornady 30gr vmax in 22 mag and are counting on them going off on your next hunt, you may want to consider shooting half the box just to see....

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hornady Ammo and horrible customer service

If you have not already, I would simply work my way up the chain of command until I got satisfaction. I have always had great service from Hornady.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

You just have to keep pushing. I did this with savage arms when I had a problem with a rifle and the finally made it right. At one time if you got something bad you just dealt with it. Or maybe you sent a written letter. And hoped for a good outcome. Now with today's mass communication and media. It's easy to make a company accountable.

I hold every company accountable, I save my receipts and packaging for everything I buy. It's obnoxious to do. But it has paid off more then once. Now I know this doesn't count with ammo, but if you keep pressing them they will evidently help. I think they usually brush off the first few contacts until they find out your serious and are not going away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks RobOz, that is what I intend to do once I get a chance. I've always heard great things about their service, but it seems they occasionally drop some things between the cracks, as noted by some bad reviews on their Facebook page. I guess I am just one of those "lucky" ones

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Part of the Community

I sent emails and left voicemails, then wrote a letter about failures of LeveRevolution ammo on a hunting trip. I never heard back. I decided to avoid loaded Hornady ammo from then on and caution others to do the same. They make some good components, but I won't buy their ammo unless I'm in a bind.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think some of the QC issues have to do with getting caught up with the demand the panic shortage caused. I never had problems with primers, but have had issues with product purchased in the last 18 months. I bought a case of SR mag primers and have had a few that would not go bang. That's just one issue of a few that I have had. It's still not an excuse for poor customer service.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stinks that you got a bad batch. But I wouldnt call it bad customer service. They are willing to replace all of the ammo that you send back to them, one round or 250, right? I wouldnt expect a retailer or manufacturer to replace or refund something that I dont physically return to them. Maybe a few missing rounds wouldnt be a big deal, but you expect them to replace 175 missing rounds.

Maybe its just me, but if I had this same issue I would have bought another box of ammo for $20.00 to try out instead of shooting up the questionable ammo and buying a new gun.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
Stinks that you got a bad batch. But I wouldnt call it bad customer service. They are willing to replace all of the ammo that you send back to them, one round or 250, right? I wouldnt expect a retailer or manufacturer to replace or refund something that I dont physically return to them. Maybe a few missing rounds wouldnt be a big deal, but you expect them to replace 175 missing rounds.

Maybe its just me, but if I had this same issue I would have bought another box of ammo for $20.00 to try out instead of shooting up the questionable ammo and buying a new gun.

Good luck, Tony
They should replace the full amount purchased. If a lot run of ammo is bad, then the MFG should make good on it. If he is having that many misfires and has tried two different guns with the outcome the same...something is amiss His frustration is worth that, if not more.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I should mention that I have a receipt, but that didn't matter either. It's on my to do list to call back and demand escalation. After that it gets ugly lol.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOz
They should replace the full amount purchased. If a lot run of ammo is bad, then the MFG should make good on it. If he is having that many misfires and has tried two different guns with the outcome the same...something is amiss His frustration is worth that, if not more.
I dont see anywhere in the post that says Hornaday wont replace the ammo or make good on it. All they are asking for is the bad ammo to be sent back to them. Hornaday clearly states on their web site that their ammo is covered by a warranty and the steps that need to be taken to start the warrenty process. The consumer refuses to pick up the bad ammo/cases in his own yard (except the 9 pcs. lost while hunting) yet Hornaday is expected to just ship him new ammo on his word. Why do some people have to follow the guidlines/policies, and others dont think the have to?

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page