what optics are best value on budget? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

what optics are best value on budget?

I have a Remington 7600 30-06 in synthetic I am going to use as primary bear/deer rifle.

I've never had decent optics before, but the experienced guys all say that optics are more important than the rifle.

Family, house, 1 income, etc etc make a Zeiss or high end leupold impossible though.

What scope gives best value? Anyone have experience with center points? Or the Bushnell banner? A 4-12 would be nice as I like to zoom right in, but I'm open minded,

Been looking at used leupold vx2 and vx3 but still too pricy unless I trade something.

What budget scope are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: what optics are best value on budget?

I have a bushnell trophy xlt on my 7600 and is a good scope with good glass for the money. I think I paid like $100 for it new from cabelas with rebate. Also I would look at the redfield line of scopes.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Part of the Community

I have a variety of scopes. Of the budget variety I like Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy XLT and Burris Fullfield II. Simmons makes a good scope for the money and believe it or not, I've had acceptable results with Tasco World Class.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you can find a bushnell elite 3200 for under $200 that is a great buy of a scope for the cash as well.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Bushnell Banner is a good value for a guy on a budget. Like 5c said you can find the discontinued 3200's for under 100 bucks and they come with rainguard. Also, the max power I would go with is 3-9x40. My favorite deer rifle had a 1.5-5x20 varix 3 for years, it now has a 1.5-6 4200 on it. I never had a problem connecting with low power scopes.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have no complaints with the Nikon prostaff line. It has served me well, and I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

I second and third if I could Nikon. I love their stuff. 95% of my firearms have a Nikon optic on them. I have not had one problem with them.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM
The Man

Check out Vortex - I was in the Nikon camp for awhile and the Vortex to me looks like better glass.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Giving me some options to look at! Thanks a lot. Gonna learn what I want then see if I can strike a trade somewhere.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Part of the Community

I bought a Weaver Classic-K fixed 6x last winter to put on my 25-06 and I love that scope. It was $140 I believe because I, like you, didn't have the money for another Leupold and I always liked dad's old Weaver, so I figured I'd give the newer Weaver scopes a try, especially after reading good reviews. Very clear scope and accurate adjustments, with all the magnification necessary for shots out to 300 yards. Keep in mind what most people overlook, and by that I mean that fixed power scopes often have better glass for the price than say, a cheaper 2-7x or 3-9x variable of the same price. This is because there are virtually no moving parts inside of a fixed power other than the adjustment turrets, so the consumer will end up with very decent glass because it costs the manufacturer less to produce and assemble. Fixed power scopes have always been known for their bulletproof design, durability, and foolproof target acquisition because there is nothing to mess with come time to shoot at an animal. Food for thought.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page