7.7 Jap. rebarrel ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

7.7 Jap. rebarrel ?

I have a 7.7 jap. rifle that I do not shoot much and am thinking of rebarreling. I do not have very much invested in the gun at this point. The gun is sporterized with a nice aftermarket stock, Williams sites, drilled and tapped for scope mounts, adjustable aftermarket trigger and safety. The action also has been worked on to "slick" it up. This was all done before I got the gun.

I was thinking of rebarreling it and don't know what calibers would be doable in this action. I have read that it is a strong action and can handle cases like the 30-06. I was thinking of maybe something like a 35 Whelen.

If you have any advise or experience in doing something like this I would love to hear it. I have never had work like this done on a rifle and don't know what it would cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Wiz

Re: 7.7 Jap. rebarrel ?

Arisaka rifles are not the prettiest ones but they are surely regarded as one of the strongest actions ever built. With that said, you should probably be good with any caliber. However, they are not typically that desirable and most folks would rather have different model rifle for an alteration like this. The cost of the job is probably going to be far more than the finished product would be worth but that doesn't matter much if it is for your interest. I was thinking somewhere in the $500-800 price range but others who do this more often might have a better idea.

The process involves quite a bit of machine work including getting the reamer and headspace gages for what ever caliber you want. If a shop doesn't have these on hand, it usually costs between $100-200 alone for these tools. If it is not a commonly asked for caliber, the shop will probably pass this cost on to you because they won't be able to recover the costs as easily if nobody else wants the caliber.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM

Keep your money!! First off the barrel will be $400.00, another $150.00 to chamber it and cut it, another $200.00 to true the action, a trigger of some kind or find a smith who knows how to machine the receiver to take a timney or something... another who knows for a stock...etc.. You'll have a $1000.00 in before you know what happened, just not worth it... Shoot it just the way it is, the 7.7 jap is more than powerful enough to take any pa big game, shoot it for fun, lots of military arms shoots around the state from time to time, it's just not worth doing anything major.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for input guys.

6-Dasher - All the work mentioned in my earlier post is already done, I am looking at just the barrel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:30 AM
New Arrival

Save the money and buy a modern rifle.

I've thought about rechambering my 7.7 and mauser, not worth it when modern rifles are so available and "cheap".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntined
Thanks for input guys.

6-Dasher - All the work mentioned in my earlier post is already done, I am looking at just the barrel.
Thats not how it works. You dont just screw on a new barrel and its done.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Part of the Community

I have a 6.5 Jap and have am a riflesmith; it doesn't even seem economical to rebarrel it myself. I would shoot it as is until you come across something else. It never hurts to pass on a reliable, inexpensive rifle to someone who might not otherwise be able to get in to the shooting sports.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page