7600 / 760 Disassembly - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

7600 / 760 Disassembly

I put a post in the 760 thread asking about how to take these guns apart, but I figured I should make it a new topic. I have a 760 Gamemaster that I want to take apart to clean up the action. Specifically the slide tube. The pump is very stiff and I think that is where the problem is. Has anyone ever taken theirs apart? I've read a few things on different sites, and seem to get a few different answers. I tried one of them with no luck. Do I have to unscrew the tube to get the slide off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 7600 / 760 Disassembly

Yes you have to unscrew the tube. You need a long shank screw driver or metal punch. It goes through the holes in the tube.
There's a rubber O ring inside the tube, probably your problem and will need to be replaced.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The gun should obviously be unloaded.
open the action to reveal the two small holes in the tube.
A long pin or I use a small phillips head screw driver to rotate the tube, inserting it thru the holes in the tube. Rotate, counterclockwise. It is a long thread.

When you remove the forened wood and tube will be hangin without forward support, don't bent it. Dirt may be inside the forend tube. You can clean it with a patch and rod. Or you can remove it by closing the action(move it forward). If you take the action/forend assbly out, it can be difficult to get her back together.

I don't remember any o-rings on the 760, but they maybe there (or on the 7600)as anti-rattling devices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

I've replaced the o-rings on model 760's before. It's about an hour project but well worth it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. Sounds easy enough. Are the O rings standard size or a special o ring?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Update on the action. I tried to turn the tube out of the gun. Everything I used to try to turn it either bent or broke. I noticed a burr on one of the holes where someone had tried to take the tube off before. I filed that off hoping it would solve the problem, and it didn't. I am out of tools that fit in the holes to try anymore, so I guess I have to take it to a smith.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was going to tell you that a regular screw driver will not turn the tube.
The tube is held on with RED LOCTITE and must be heated until almost red hot before it will release. It will not hurt the blue.
You have to remove the forearm before you take it apart.
If the holes are rounded - you will need to drill them out to the next largest size until you get get them to clean up.
The tool to use is a Craftsman punch of the proper size.
Turn it a little at a time - because it will not want to come off and you can only get about 1/4th of a turn per every hole in the tube.
When it comes apart, the slide action, the barrel and the bolt will all come out at one time.
If you gun is as bad as it sounds, you will need to purchase a new bolt cover - plastic.
If the cover is gouged, it is probably worn and will fall out when you shoot the rifle anyways - so the time to replace it is now and not when it falls out.
I think a new one is like $5 at Grice Gun shop.
You also need to remove the trigger group before you take the tube loose.

The old model guns - you have to remove the forearm with the tube because there is a spacer that is spot welded to some of the barrels and others has a spacer that just sits between the barrel and the pump tube.

Any older model pump can be updated to a two piece slide tube and forearm if you can purchase the forearm and the slide that it bolts to. The spot weld will break off the barrel for the spacer if you hit it with a hammer.

The hard part - once you take it apart is getting it all back together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page