Sight-in techniques - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Sight-in techniques

I don't profess to be any sort of expert but I read of poorly shooting rifles here from time to time and I wonder about the techniques being employed on the bench which often contribute to poor accuracy. There's a lot of experienced shooters here so I'm hoping others will add to the below:

1) Have a solid platform to shoot from. Doesn't have to be an expensive BR-type set up-just make sure you're not constantly fighting the rifle on the bags...sandbags made from old blue jeans and filled with sand work fine...Put pieces of wood under the front and rear bags until the crosshairs are just below the aiming point. Adding a little baby powder or cheap spray deodorant to the bags will enable the rifle to move more smoothly under recoil and won't hurt accuracy either...

2) A soft front bag produces best results with a sporter weight barrel. Don't shoot off a hard front bag with a light barrel....

3) Leave the rifle in the bags once it's set up. Taking the rifle out of the bags between shots when forming a group is not conducive to getting optimum groups....

4) Be sure the rifle's fore end sits on the front bag behind the swivel stud. NEVER rest the barrel on the front bag...or have the swivel studs dig into either front or rear bag....this inhibits the natural movement of the rifle under recoil and will affect group size....

5) Grip the rifle firmly and consistently the same way and follow through after the shot....a loosely gripped sporter rifle rarely produces best groups. While the bullet gets out of the barrel pretty fast you still need to keep the same tension on the stock for every shot. I've found I can form good groups with rifles up to .300 Weatherby and smaller calibers with just a firm grip on the stock's pistol group. Heavier recoiling rifles need to also be gripped on the fore end or they tend to jump off the front rest....

The above pertains to bolt action rifles. Two piece stocked rifles are another animal....

The less you disrupt the rifle when shooting for group, the better....and make sure all screws are properly tightened. New rifles' guard screws must always be checked before shooting and barrels patched free of any preservative the mfr. may have left in there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Sight-in techniques

you covered the subject pretty well. some additions are: even when "bore sighted" start at 25 yards with a BIG target. with a big boomer do not shoot too many shots at a sitting. flinching will occur. i haved watched many shooters that "love the recoil" closing eyes and holding onto rifle with death grip after firing first couple of shots. group was a dinner plate at 50 yards, claimed rifle was "junk" i have done this one myself and that is moving sight in wrong direction. easy to do. many are to stubborn to retreat back to 25 yards and start over. rifle is junk. most once a year hunters cannot "call the shot" that means they do not actually know where rifle was pointed when discharged. bullet hit high and right/correction is made. next shot is same distance low and left. sight returned half the clicks. next shot nowhere to be found. "rifle is junk once again" poor results even from sandbags is more often shooter error than defective equipment. the upside to this is gunshops stay in business and savey shooters get real bargains buying "junque." these opinions come from more than just a few years helping during sight-ins days at a good sized club.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A lot of good advise as usual there Young'n. Consistency, the bag setup, hold, trigger management, bench manners, reading the conditions and etc all pay big dividends downrange.

I was asked how hard is it to build an accurate rifle. My reply "Building an accurate rifle isn't difficult at all, shooting it accurately is the challenge"!

Unfortunately, I haven't mastered either as of yet!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Your humility, Old Feller, does not become you for those of us who have been around you here know better....

I forgot to add that the rifle should be firmly pulled back into the shooter's shoulder but figger the rifle will tell a person that after the first shot?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

it has been my experience that if my rifles arent shooting as well as they should, 99% of the time it turns out i have to tighten up the nut behind the trigger.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehill
right/correction is made. next shot is same distance low and left. sight returned half the clicks. next shot nowhere to be found.
Might add that the shooter can easily correct that situation: Keep rifle steady and scope centered on the same bullseye. Move both scope adjustments till they touch the first hole. Shoot at bull again and Presto!! - dead on in two shots.

benchrest
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon375
it has been my experience that if my rifles arent shooting as well as they should, 99% of the time it turns out i have to tighten up the nut behind the trigger.

That is the best advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Learned, years ago, from my late Uncle Clarence. He would set you up at the shooting bench. Then, He would take the Rifle and load the shell in. Of course He wouldn`t tell you that He didn`t put one in. You knew right away if you flinched!! Of course the flinch reaction would be greeted by guffaws and other rude comments....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page