6mmx47 Laupa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

6mmx47 Laupa

Finally got some testing in this weekend with this new rifle after having some mechanical issues I mentioned in earlier thread. Sent bolt out to gre-tan for insert for firing pin working very well now. And 6- Dasher we also have a new Jewell on her. Went to range today with 5 different loads all with H-4350 , Rem Br primers ( just because I had them ) Hornady 105-AMax all was 3 shot groups
Rem 700 Blue printed
Jewell Trigger
Brux 23" 8 twist # 3 contour
Factory wooden rem. classic stock
Smithed and stocked by Bob Green
Lupy 6.5 x20 Seekins 20 moa rail

39.0 grains - .421
39.5 - .517
40.0 - .309
40.5 - .407
41.0 - .371
That would give me an agg. of .405, guess not bad for load testing with a sporter rifle. You shooters with this caliber whats your opinion of this or what should I expect? Also what are you shooting bullet, powder, charge, etc? Anyone have guess on Vel. of the 41 grain string, don't have a working chronograph anymore. I might add my last 2 groups wind picked up and wasent going to shoot but thought what the heck. I than actually put gun in car and got it back out for last group of the 41 grain load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Re: 6mmx47 Laupa

I just looked at my data and I'm running the amax at about 3000 with the 40-41 gr load range. My gun is a 10 twist snd prefers the 95 grainers. I'm using 40.1 with the 95 gr pprecision ballistics bullets at 3150 with room to spare. I think max is just above 42 gr with the 95's.

We killed a couple antelope with the match bullets and they worked great...bombed inside the chest cavity. Don't think I'd use em again though. I wanna try the 95 gr ballistic tip or acubond. Or I may try the old standby Sierra 100 gr boattail gameking. They hit like the hammer of God in my 243 and are incredibly accurate. Only thing I killed with the amax was a buck with the 7 mag. If the 105's work like the 162's in 7mm I wouldn't use them on deer.

I think you got a load that works well. If you really want to get picky...you may want to test at 300 plus and pick the best one. Try a couple groups each so you can get a true reading on the load. For a hunting rifle I'd just load up 41 gr and go kill stuff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

So as far as damage and killing your opinion on the 105 a-max. Just wondering if it was to hard of a bullet to hunt with since its a target bullet. I used the 75 a-max from my 8 twist 22-243 at 4350 fps it was nasty on g-hogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 PM

I think if you put it thru the ribs or neck you'll be fine. If you hit shoulder or leg it may bomb and not penetrate. I spined the buck with the 7mag. Major meat damage. No doubt it'll work...just there's other bullets that may work better.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I know the 95 Bergers work well on our Pa. deer have a friend that uses them. How about the 105 berger for hunting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:02 PM

They say they work...but I'll never buy another berger bullet. They're hosing major bullet makers not providing jackets and discontinued the 25 and 30 gr 17 cal my guns like best. That's all I'll say about that but there's several other proven bullets by hornady sierra and nosler that will work better at PA deer ranges.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Well it's about time you took the second to the last step, I'm assuming this is going to be a hunting rifle and not a target rifle and if your shooting 1/3 in center to center groups with a sporter barrel I think thats as good as you can expect...now that primer, well you already know what I'm going to say...for hunting your done spending. Bullet wise I would like to see some BIB 104's or 108's if you could find them...go to benchrest central and see if anyone is selling a small lot of them, I'll bet that'll wake her up some...also, how far into the lands are you seating the bullets, what's the loading outside neck diameter and what did Bob cut you neck diameter to. For deer hunting I'd stick to a good ole partition, heck you are shooting at a basketball sized target, good luck and enjoy shooter her.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks 6- Dasher, felt like my dad up in heaven was looking over me. Neck .275, I didn't want to turn necks done that 25 years ago and not my nitch. Ill be getting some Federal br soon but had the remmys on shelf. Ive had both bergers and a-max sitting as close as I could in lands, but the a-max just seems to out perform them. Ill go on br central and try to find some as you suggested. My intentions for this rifle is sure to take out some deer hunting but some fun plinking and not worry about burning throat like I just did in a 6-284. Im starting back in at my buddys shooting 1k-1500 witht he big guns and it would be sweet to pick it up while they are cooling down. We got a late start due to his fields being farmed so now we can enjoy some of that kind of shooting. You mentioned nosler part., I never shot them before how heavy of a bullet do they offer? Thanks for your help.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM

No problem stater...us ole' guys gotta keep you younger whippersnappers in line every once in a while!!! LOL.. Lapua cases in 6x47 and BR are so good and uniform that you really don't need to neck turn, myself I hate to do it also... I was curious how much clearance you had when the case was fully loaded, how much expansion you experience, I've found the less the better, I have a ppc, borden cut thats less than a thousandth when both side are combined, the cases never wear out, been shooting the same ones for 15 years because of it. The 6x47 should be easy on throats, H-4350 is the best powder without question, just shoot it a little under max and you never hurt the barrel especially in a hunting rifle and the accuracy needed for that compared to competition benchrest. The partitions I think, are 95 and 105 or maybe it's 110..they are not the most accurate bullet BUT they will never let you down when deer hunting under any condition. Well if you not going to do any competition shooting, what you have will be fine, should work nicely out to 1000 without any problem, you need to come up to Ridgeway's VBR with it, should be just the ticket for that match that's a lot of fun...Glad to see some younger guys still look to us ole' timers every once in a while..God Bless..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Dasher: I might be a little older than you think. Im 54 but still young and domb. Your ppc with that neck I am little familiar. I shot benchrest in the late 80's and early 90's. Seely Masker was my gunsmith and he refered to that as a fitted neck thinking around 1/2 to 1 thousands, used what he called a nut cracker to nock out primer. I later didn't like the idea and bought a fl carbide die from Clarence Hammonds paid 200.00 for that thing in 1990. Had to really think about spending that much in a die back than. I might go to a match next year but now really enjoy plinking with a buddy. Im half afraid to go to a match knowing ill be buying a match gun and competing again. Lol. When I was competing on the IBS circuit I found out I was playing a rich mans game on a poor mans wage. Now I could afford it but don't really have the time. Its amazing how life works in a reverse order. I would say the 1k yard shooting would be more appealing to me than the 100-200 yard matchs I used to shoot. Btw, I do appreciate and respect your advise you have given on this forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page